Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group Policy not getting applied properly

Hello,

We have 2 Domain Controller in our site with Windows 2003 OS and in Active Directory. One DC (DC1) is the root DC of forest with all 5 FSMO roles. The other DC (DC2) is configured as GC. Now when I apply a Group Policy and see the gpresult details, I get the following result:

Computer Settings is applied from DC1 and User Settings is applied from DC2.

Because of this the User Setting policy is not getting affected on the user machines. When I manually do a gpudate /force on the user machine and then see gpresult. I see both the computer and user settings are applied from DC2 and everything works fine.

Please let me know how to resolve this issue so that users don't have to run gpupdate everytime they login to the machine.

Thanks

Re: Group Policy not getting applied properly

I have deleted your double post in the Active Directory forum. Please read the forum rules
    http://forums.petri.com/announcement.php?f=26
    You have 24 posts so far so should know better, please keep them in mind in future.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Tell us a bit more about your setup. Is it a single domain (Meaning root domain with no child) and how many sites etc?
      Also have a look at this for Intrasite replication troubleshooting:
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249256

Ta
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

We have Parent - Child domain architecture. We have 2 sites in Parent domain. Site 1 has 2 DCs where DC1 is root DC of forest with all the FSMO roles. DC2 is the other DC in site1 with GC role. Site2 has one DC with GC enabled. Child domain is in Site3 and has one DC with all Domain roles and GC.

Group Policy is applied on Site1 and Site2 users and computers. Site1 has 2 OUs on which these policies are applied and Site2 has 1 OU. I have having this issue users in Site1.

All the sites are replicating perfectly. No issues in replication.

Comment

Ah ok, so no intrasite replication issues then.
          So, where is the GPO linked?
          And can you see any reason on the Gpresult Wizard, Summary page within the GPMC console?
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

The GPO is linked to the parent domain.

From the GPresult only I came to know that Computer setting is getting applied from DC2 and USer settings from DC1. After we manually do a gpupdate on the user machine, then both computer and user policy gets applied from DC2.

Comment

It won't matter which DC will be giving the client the policy as they both will contain the same GPOs.

Comment

Yes both are having same GPOs, it should not matter. But the problem is that I have configured IE proxy details in the GPO. So because of this issue the proxy settings do not get implemented and people are not able to browse. But when I do a gpupdate it works fine

Comment

If it works when you gpupdate then the policy refresh rate for the domain is either set at too longer interval or posibly there is a replication latency.

You mention originally that it is a problem when the computer policy comes from DC1 and the User policy from DC2. Does it list these settings as coming from a different GPO for each or is it the same GPO? They are in the same domain, so I can't see why that would make a difference to user settings. It's strange that when gpupdate is carried out that the policy then just applying from DC2 works.

Comment

Working...
                  X