Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPO does not apply

Hi,
    I am trying to implement a new GPO. I created a new test OU.
    It doesn't matter which workstation I drag to that new OU, it just won't take the new policy.
    I have 2 other GPO at the domain level. They are not enforced though.
    Any idea why the test OU does not apply the new policy (hide screen saver for example).
    Thanks!

Re: GPO does not apply

Are you configuring policies under Computer Configuration or User Configuration? If you're putting workstations in the OU, only policies configured under Computer Configuration will take effect unless you use loopback processing.

What do the event logs show?

What does gpresult show?

What OSes do the workstations run?

Please give more detail to your setup - without that we can't possibly diagnose your problem. http://forums.petri.com/announcement.php?f=33
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

On the workstation, run the following:

gpupdate /force

On completion, restart the machine and then take gforce's advice from below or before to double check the first part.

GPOs will refresh at specific intervals. Machine policies can be slower in being enforced and only d oso when rebooting providing they are then aware of the policy. User policies are on user logon.

Forcing an update means that any policies will be enforced. You may have to restart twice for policies to fully take effect.

Comment

I am configuring under User Configuration? how do I use the the loopback processing than?

What does gpresult show? that the policy did not take

What OSes do the workstations run? XP SP2

I've already rebooted twice and forced update

Comment

Originally posted by nemonat View Post
          I am configuring under User Configuration? how do I use the the loopback processing than?
          Google helps... http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gro...ack+processing

Loopback processing effectively makes user configurations affect machine accounts - or more specifically, any user who logs on to that machine.

Unless you use loopback processing, you can't apply user-level settings to a machine account.
          Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks for replying back so quick!
            I just applied the loopback policy and restarted pc.
            Screen Saver suppose to be hidden. Do you usually add security filter to a policy?

Comment

didn't work

Comment

What didn't work?

Once again, you need to give detailed posts. Explain fully what you are trying to do, what your situation is and what you have done to try to solve your problem. Without that, people will not feel inclined to help you.
                Gareth Howells

Comment

I am sorry gforce. I was replying to you msg and thought you understood.

I enable loopback policy as you suggested. Screen Saver is still not hidden.
                  Then, I tried to change computer configuration policy to see if that works.
                  Still no luck. When I run gpresult I am able to see that the computer configuration policy has applied but the workstation behavior is still like without it.

Comment

Originally posted by nemonat View Post
                    Screen Saver is still not hidden
                    Do you mean the Screen Saver tab in Display properties?

What have you configured to hide this?
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

What are you trying to achieve from the lockdown?

Do you want it to effect specific users?

Apply to specific computers?

Apply to a computer regardless of who logs on?

If you can let us know and we will point you in the right direction with regards to the policy to apply.

Comment

yes, I am trying to make it apply to a specific pc no matter who logs on..
                        So under the User Configuration I go to user config/admin templates/control panel/display/hide screen saver tab

Thank I applied loopback policy (replace) in the computer configuration
                        Am I missing something?

Comment

And you've linked the GPO to the OU that contains the computer account you want these settings to affect?

And the GPO isn't being filtered out, either with a security filter or a WMI filter?
                          Gareth Howells

Comment

I see. So the GPO is now applied directly to an OU containing that PC, from what I gather below.

Have you configured the loppback policy as replace or merge mode? It will be best as replace but then you will need to make sure that you add all other user restrictions to that GPO but you know precisely what the user rights will be on the machine.

So you have enabled the 'Hide Sreen Saver' tab?

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                              Have you configured the loppback policy as replace or merge mode?
                              He did specify that loopback processing was configured to Replace.
                              Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                              X