X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• creating user account

Hi!
    why am i getting this window:

The \\london\home\marketing\marketingTMP home folder was not created because you do not have create access on the server. the user account has beed updated with the new home folder value but you must create the directory manually after obtaining the required access rights.

i'm looged as an admin & trying to create a user account with a mapped shared folder as drive z
    (mapped to \\london\home\marketing\%username%)
    thx
    Attached Files

What SHARE permission do you have on the mapped share?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

a normal share... everyone...
      but hey - i'm logged as admin...

Comment

Is this a Win2003 computer? If so, the "default share" is in fact "everyone - read", and not full control.

Check it out.

Next, the folder you're using MUST be on an NTFS partition if you want it to automatically create the subfolders.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

yes daniel... 2003 enterprise...
          & yes - it's "everyone read"...
          i changed it to everyone full control & it did created the folders...
          but i don't want everyone to access that folder.
          i'm making a home folder & 4 other folders inside that (marketing, manufacturing,management,helpdesk)
          & i need that every department will have access only to their folder (& inside that only a user will have access to his own folder)
          part of the project - you know...

Comment

Yes I do know, however you can simply turn off the share permissions afterwards.
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

to build it in "everyone full control" & when i'm finished to reset it back?
              strange
              btw, look here in this forum:
              http://x220.win2ktest.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6136
              he had the same problem & they told him he need a hot fix:
              http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;824688
              is it a bug in the "great" windows server?

Comment

First of all, bugs are and always will be an integral part of any software, surely of those made of millions of code lines. Notice how this hotfix is not public, i.e. it is not a required fix, and to get it you need to contact PSS.

Second, doing it like I suggested, especially in the user-creation phase, is not a bug. Just enable the CHANGE share permission and make sure that you give enough NTFS permissions to the System account.

Remember that the share permission should remain CHANGE for the Everyone group, because you should base your security on the NTFS permissions, not on the share permissions. NTFS permissions should always be the most restrictive out of the two.

Also note that if you do it like I told you, you'll see that the system itself will have granted each user with exclusive rights to their respective folder, thus in fact eliminating the need for you to do it yourself.

All this is true only on an NTFS partition. On FAT, you're on your own!
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

i see.
                  so i'm using share change permissions & you say that it will auto choose the right NTFS permissions (& that is ok because the most restrictive takes effect...)
                  ok.

another thing is the gpo for password policy.
                  i need to set it to all users ONLY NOT to admins...
                  how can i do that?
                  i set the domain gpo with the password policy that i need. but how to exclude admins?
                  thanks

Comment

Originally posted by SpyD
                    how can i do that?
                    i set the domain gpo with the password policy that i need. but how to exclude admins?
                    thanks
                    You can't. This is by design. Password and Kerberos policies are domain wide.
                    Guy Teverovsky
                    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Originally posted by guyt
                      Originally posted by SpyD
                      how can i do that?
                      thanks
                      You can't. This is by design. Password and Kerberos policies are domain wide.
                      what do you mean?
                      i didn't need to set it at the domain's gpo?
                      i need to put a gpo link into the ou that the users are in - & to put the admins of all 4 departments in another ou with it's own gpo link?

Comment

i asked that in several other places... all told me it can't be done...

Comment

Re: creating user account

Hi,
                          Can anyone help me in regard to this KB, because, I have called microsoft, but they are currently closed.

I really require this hotfix asap, as I am working in a secondary school, which tomorrow all the students will be back to school, and since we upgraded from 2000 to 2003 enterprise, we have been unable to add the new users for this years enrollment.

If anyone could kindy e-mail me the hotfix to [email protected] I would GREATLY appretiate it

Thanks
                          Joe H.

Comment

Re: creating user account

what do you mean?
                            i didn't need to set it at the domain's gpo?
                            i need to put a gpo link into the ou that the users are in - & to put the admins of all 4 departments in another ou with it's own gpo link?
                            "you can create password policies at the domain level for all domain accounts through group policy, or at OU level for local accounts"

source: microsoft windows security ressource kit, page 43.
                            Yesterday we stood at the edge of the abyss. Today we are a step further...

Comment

Working...
                            X