Power Users and GPOs.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Users and GPOs.

Hi all.. i am fairly new to AD on the whole.. been doing alot of reading.. but still there are things i dont know and some that i dont understand.

Firstly are there GPO templates online for Power Users and other basic class of users ? Reason i ask is that i want to make a GPO for Power Users on my domain, but at present its time consuming to set each object in the GPO.. are their templates for these ?

Also is there a way to be able to launch an application installer with admin rights on a machine without having to log in as admin or give the user rights to install on windows xp... On Vista i see there is an Option called "Run as Administator" .. Is there anyhting like this in XP ?

Re: Power Users and GPOs.

Originally posted by drdre View Post
    Hi all.. i am fairly new to AD on the whole.. been doing alot of reading.. but still there are things i dont know and some that i dont understand.

Firstly are there GPO templates online for Power Users and other basic class of users ? Reason i ask is that i want to make a GPO for Power Users on my domain, but at present its time consuming to set each object in the GPO.. are their templates for these ?
    Hi,
    You got me a bit confused here, What templates do you exactly mean?

Also is there a way to be able to launch an application installer with admin rights on a machine without having to log in as admin or give the user rights to install on windows xp... On Vista i see there is an Option called "Run as Administator" .. Is there anyhting like this in XP ?
    In XP there is the Secondary logon Service which will give you the Run As option when you right click a file.

Cheers
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

I mean is there a GPO online from Microsoft or any well estabhlisted ms company that would define a POWER USER.. .. just like how xp has options to have a user as a power user, admin, etc.

Comment

On a standalone machine, or in AD, there is a group called Power Users... is that what you're looking for?

Is there anyhting like this in XP ?
        Using runas.exe? If you don't want the user to see the credentials, use it in an encrypted VBS.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

_
          "On Vista i see there is an Option called "Run as Administator" .. Is there anyhting like this in XP ?"
          ShellRunas provides functionality similar to that of Runas to launch programs as a different user via a convenient shell context-menu entry.
          _
          "is there a GPO online from Microsoft or any well estabhlisted ms company that would define a POWER USER ?"
          Use the Restricted Groups policy.
          First, create a new group in AD "Windows Power Users", and add the users who you like to be a Power User on the client. Install GPMC on a client or on a member server. Edit a GPO and create the "Power Users" Restricted Group by using the Add Group browser (this way you make the policy OS-language independed). Next, add "Members of this group" and add the newly created AD group ""Windows Power Users".
          _

Note,
          It is not save to make users Power User, since the user can then make it self an Administrator in a few steps. That is why Power Users are not there any more on newer OSs.
          http://blogs.technet.com/markrussino...wer-users.aspx

\Rems
          Last edited by Rems; 5th February 2009, 18:14.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
          and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Working...
          X