Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Block Internet access via computer settings

Hi All,

Is there a way to block internet access in the computer configurations instead of user settings? I have a group of PCs that I would like to disable internet access on, regardless of which user logs in.

DC: windows 2003 w/ sp2
    Clients: xp pro w/ sp 2

Thanks again for the help.

Re: Block Internet access via computer settings

Google "Group Policy loopback processing".

Basically, you configure user-level settings in a GPO that's assigned to computer objects. Those user settings apply to any user of the affected machines.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

You could also have a look at IPSEC as an alternative solution.

Petri site has a good article about it : http://www.petri.com/block_internet_...with_ipsec.htm

Ta
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Or buy a descent firewall and block the ip addresses of those machines.
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Using GPO and IIS, You can block Internet Access to all web sites, excluding a specific list of URLs that you do not want to block. You can then apply the settings on a group of users / machines.

Here is a step by step article:

http://www.smart-x.com/?CategoryID=171&ArticleID=149

Comment

Smart-x, your method does not seem to exclude an approved list of sites from being blocked, or have I missed something?
            Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Is it so weird to block it by using a firewall.
              Personally I don't really like fake proxy servers, you can simply remove the fake proxy server in IE.
              Also when a user has a laptop and need internet access from home (for example) you need to instruct the user to disable it.

I really find this kind of solutions quite a poor-mans solution.

Adding a firewall, or blocking the ip addresses of those machines is simply better.
              I assume all companies nowadays have a firewall and if not... well start buying one or put smoothwall in place even if it's a temporary solution.
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Gforceindustries - You include the "white list" in the 'Bypass proxy' list.

Dumber -
                This method is not meant to replace perimeter firewalls. It just meant to block access to certain intranet web sites (through Internet Explorer). You can use GPO to restrict users from messing up with the Proxy configuration. Also, you are right about the laptops. It isn't practical to use it on Laptops.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart-X View Post
                  This method is not meant to replace perimeter firewalls. It just meant to block access to certain intranet web sites (through Internet Explorer)
                  Those three words are critical - these settings will only work with IE. Your users might be able to install software, which would include other browsers. If not, they can still download FirefoxPortable or others.
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                  X