Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restrict .mp3 by Software restriction policy

Hi All,

Actually i want to restrict a particulat extension like .mp3,.php etc with the help of Software restriction policy or you can let me know other way if you have in your mind.
    i want no one able to access that .mp3 or .php etc after applying that policy in a particular OU.

So please let me the way to get this.

Thanx
    Vijay
    ________
    Chilean recipes
    Last edited by vsharma; 10th April 2011, 06:32.

restrict particualr extension by software restrictaion policy

All,

Actually i want to restrict a particulat extension like .mp3,.php etc with the help of Software restriction policy or you can let me know other way if you have in your mind.
    i want no one able to access that .mp3 or .php etc after applying that policy in a particular OU.

So please let me the way to get this.

Thanx
    Vijay
    ________
    CHILDREN PRILOSEC

Comment

Re: restrict particualr extension by software restrictaion policy

Well, you can probably discard "Software Restriction" policies; these prevent particular programs running, not particular data types from being accessed.

What I suggest you do is block these incoming filetypes at the firewall, and implement FSRM (File Services Resource Management) which is found in Windows Server 2003 R2. This will enable you to police the storage of certain filetypes on your file servers.

You could also remove Windows Media Player from your workstation build, and make sure that users are not workstation admins and can therefore not install most software. Block the installation of certain popular media players and I think you're starting to convince the user base you really don't want media being accessed on your network. Back all of this up with a good, solid, robust IT Usage Policy and you're about airtight.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Re: Restrict .mp3 by Software restriction policy

Reported as double post... please read the rules before you continue to use this forum...

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

Merged to GPO forum
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Dear ,

First of all thanx for the reply.
            actually i wanna remove .mp3 to be used in my domain.So i wanna restrict the .Mp3 extension .. i can't gv user simple user rights .I need to gv them admin rights bcoz they need to install softwares.i was asking you this on the basis of the below link dont know how but think it may possible.
            http://windows.ittoolbox.com/groups/...policy-2359970

plese check it and let me know if you find any way for that.

Thanx
            Vijay
            ________
            Hinduism Forums

Comment

If they're admins, I don't know a way to help you - sorry.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by vsharma View Post
                actually i wanna remove .mp3 to be used in my domain.
                What you really want to do, is to have a chat with your manager and draft an acceptable user policy or company IT policy. That is, a paper policy, not a GPO. In the policy you deny users the right to play music files. Your boss signs the policy, sends a copy of it to users and maybe you'll attach a copy on the company bullet board too.

Afterwards, you check user workstations every now and then and if music files are found, have the users processed as per your IT policy.

Don't try to control a social problem (slacking off on company time) with technology (software restrictions).

-vP

Comment

Agreed. Use technical weapons to supplement political weapons - far more effective with matters like this.
                  Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
                  X