Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying Group Policies and removing

Hi All,

I created a group policy to block internet access and applied it to an OU with specific users. This worked just fine, however, what do I do if I need to remove the group policy for one of the users?

For example, in the OU "NoInternetAccess" I have "User1", "User2", and "User3" in that container. I applied the policy to block internet access on that "NoInternetAccess" container, and all 3 users can no longer access internet. Now I need to grant internet access to "User3", how do I do this? I thought I could just remove the user from the "NoInternetAccess" OU, and place him in a different container. Problem with this is, even if I move him from that container, he still cannot access the internet. I have tried the gpupdate.exe command to refresh the group policies, and also rebooted his client machine. Is there something else I need to do?

AD is under: Windows Server 2003 SP2 Enterprise
    Client Machine: Windows XP SP2

Thanks again.

Re: Applying Group Policies and removing

Maybe tell us what policy settings you applied? Maybe it was a preference, not a policy - preferences remain in place even after you remove the GPO. You would need to create a second GPO, applied to the other container with the required settings to allow internet access.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for your reply, I think it was a preference. As I was told to right click on "Internet Explorer Maintenance" and select "Preference mode" (all under the Group Policy Object Editor). How to I block the internet access if I don't select the "preference mode"?

Thanks

Comment

As I said, you create two policies. One with the settings to allow access, applied to the domain (most likely - but don't define the settings in the default domain policy), one with the settings to block access, applied to a specific OU.

Or the other way round, block access for the domain and allow it for specific OUs.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks. I will try that.

Comment

Working...
          X