Need help finding a GPO creating Dialup and VPN connections

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help finding a GPO creating Dialup and VPN connections

We are in the process of creating a new OU for our desktops and laptops and they want the dial up and VPN connections to automatically come down like it does when the computer is in the old OU.

No one here now knows who set that up or how. I would be happy to just redo it and apply it to the new OU, but I don't even see how you create these connections via a GPO. What really bugs me is that I know it's there somewhere, because it works in the old OU, but I can't find it when I look through the settings.

Any ideas on how to find this? Thanks in advance.

-B

Re: Need help finding a GPO creating Dialup and VPN connections

Check the old OU and see if there is a software deployment policy on it. I'm not aware of any GPO that creates dial-up/VPN connectoids. (Of course, that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist...) What seems more likely is that the CMAK was used to create a Connection Manager connectoid which was then pushed down to clients via a group policy. Check out this thread, specifically my post (#3) and the links concerning the CMAK.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Good thought, but I only see two GPOs that are installing software and they're for an old outdated spam add in we had and isn't linked to anything. I didn't know you could do this with CMAK though and I might see if I can just try this if I can't figure out how they are getting there on the old OU.

Comment

I'm not entirely sure about this, but I figured I'd toss it out there. Have a look at any GPOs that edit the registry or login scripts that do registry edits / call a .reg file. I think it may be possible to add network connections that way. Kinda the long way around the barn though. Other than that, I'm stumped.

Just curious, what version / mode of AD are you using? What OS are the clients?
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

I checked for scripts and I check all the scripts we had running via GPOs just to make sure it wasn't in there as something extra. The only thing we have scripts login \ log off scripts running for is for drive mappings. I don't see any other scripts that might do this. We did have one that ran a reg file to fix something, but after researching it that was for an old app very few people here even remember.

We are at Windows 2000 native mode and all clients are Windows XP SP3. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X