GPO User settings not applying

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPO User settings not applying

I need help. Been trouble shooting for over 2 weeks, hit a dead end. I have a domain running 2 2003 DC's, a couple hundered PC's. PC's are Win XP Pro SP2 (can't upgrade to SP3). When a user logs in according to GPResult all GPO's applied successfully. Upon further research the User settings don't seem to be gettin set. No replication issues, No DNS issues, have tried every possible fix I can find. GPUpdate /force works, logging off and back on doesn't. The way I've been checking is if I change the homepage (in IE) it doesn't revert back to the default settings. Logging in for the very first time the GPO's apply but once a user changes them they don't get loaded again. If I make a GPO change the refresh for Group Policy applies the changes but again a user can change the setting and it doesn't get reloaded. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have attached a portion of the userenv.log file. Any and all help gladly accepted.
    Attached Files

Re: GPO User settings not applying

If the only setting that you're checking is the IE homepage - then it is normal for the user to be able to set their own homepage and the GP not to set it back. Or at least, that's the behaviour I am observing here too. The setting in GP is only the default - click on "Use default" and you'll see that it reverts back to the page specified in the policy.

If you really don't want your users to change their homepage for some reason, then deny them access to the required interface:

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Internet Control Panel\Disable the General page

or more specifically, enforce the standard homepage:

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Disable changing home page settings

Out of interest, why can't you upgrade to SP3?
    Last edited by gforceindustries; 8th December 2008, 17:12.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

This is the expected behavior. The home page is a preference not a policy. Once a user changes the home page it will stay at whatever the user changed it to.

The main difference between policy settings and preference settings is that preference settings are not enforced.

Comment

First can't update to SP3 due to restrictions. Not approved for implementation yet.

Second, at my usual location we implement the home page setting for different exercises and haven't had any issues. A user logs in gets the GPO and page is set. If a user changes the setting when he reboots or logs off and back on then the home page reverts back to what we designated via the GPO. This is happening here.

Am I missing something. Even though we are setting a preference shouldn't the GPO settings be applied the next time a user logs in reverting them back to the page we specified or do we have to set the GPO via the admin templates? I ask this because I have users who have the specified page set, they can change it, and upon log off and on the homepage changes back. Other machines don't change back? Any ideas or should I just try the Admin Template.

Although after all the time I've spent on this I'd prefer to understand why it only works on some machines and not others.

Lastly Can preference settings be enforced????

I appreciate all the inputs ahead of time Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by bigal0730 View Post
          Lastly Can preference settings be enforced????
          See my first reply?
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Gpupdate /force overrides the changes set by the user, but the IE Maintenance policy by it self does not apply again unless there is a change to the IE Maintenance policy.

However, there is a computer policy setting to control this behavior.

Mandatory Internet Explorer Settings
            <technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc728150.aspx>
            Mandatory settings are used to enforce security, interface and other Internet Explorer settings by making users unable to change those settings. To configure mandatory settings, the settings are created while Internet Explorer Maintenance Extension is in Policy mode. When a GPO containing Policy mode settings is applied to a user configuration, the settings are reapplied only when Group Policy is forcefully reapplied to the target computer or changes are made to the GPO. Without further configuration using Group Policy Administrative Templates Extension settings, users are able to change their browser settings.

There are two additional steps that must be completed to impose the mandatory status of the GPO:
            1. The Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Group Policy\Internet Explorer Maintenance policy processing setting must be configured to process settings even if they have not been changed.
            2. All of the settings in the User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Internet Control Panel node must be enabled.

Related subject,
            Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
            and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Working...
            X