Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IE proxy setting

Hi,

Is there anyway to change the IE proxy setting without the user logging on via the domain?

some kind of remote gpedit.msc command?

its just that there is a large amount of locally logged in users running here...................

thank you for assistance

Re: IE proxy setting

No but you might distributing a reg file if you want
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/819961
    Code:
    Regedit4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
    "MigrateProxy"=dword:00000001
    "ProxyEnable"=dword:00000001
    "ProxyHttp1.1"=dword:00000000
    "ProxyServer"="http://ProxyServername:80"
    "ProxyOverride"="<local>"
    But this a great example why users should login to the domain.
    Last edited by Dumber; 19th November 2008, 11:33.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Are the machines at least joined to the domain, even if the users are using local accounts? If so, then the reg file is an option, an alternative would be to use Group Policy. While the proxy server is a user setting not a computer setting, you can 'make user settings apply to computers' (or more specifically, all users *of* a computer*) using Group Policy loopback processing.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Run as a domain admin (if the computers are member of the domain, otherwise you should run the script as a local admin and the pw for each machine) a batch/script from one computer, that copies a shortcut into the folder C$\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup on all workstations that currently are pingable, (keep a list of computers that were not pingable to run the script with gain).
        The same script also copies the vbscript to the local computer (c$\).

This shortcut will start the vbscipt at logon:
        "%windir%\system32\wscript.exe" //nologo "c:\setproxy.vbs"

- If the computers are domain clients, you can also use a Startup Script to copy the shortcut and setproxy.vbs script.
        - Instead of the "<..>\all users\start Menu\Programs\Startup" folder to start the script you could also use this startup location: "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ru n\"

The vbscript "setproxy.vbs" is editing the user's proxy configuration in the registry (sample scripts can be found in the scripting forum).

\Rems
        Last edited by Rems; 19th November 2008, 12:36.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
        and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

the computers are members of the domain so this should help let me do some testing and ill report back

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
            Are the machines at least joined to the domain, even if the users are using local accounts? If so, then the reg file is an option, an alternative would be to use Group Policy. While the proxy server is a user setting not a computer setting, you can 'make user settings apply to computers' (or more specifically, all users *of* a computer*) using Group Policy loopback processing.

what do you mean by loopback processing tried it but as they are local user accounts user settings dont apply

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
              While the proxy server is a user setting not a computer setting, you can 'make user settings apply to computers' (or more specifically, all users *of* a computer*) using Group Policy loopback processing.
              Using loopback processing will cause the settings tobe applied to all users of the machine.
              Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

i will look at this again tomorrow at work as i tried this earlier today and set the group policy loopback to replace, on a computer that is a member of the domain and logged on with local user but the user config did not apply.

am i doing something wrong or can it just not be done this way and i need to put scripts in the startup folder.......

thanks for your patience

Comment

In my experience, it has always worked fine.
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

Hi,

The loopback processing setting doesn't apply to the local users for the reason that these user objects are not stored in AD and therefore the user settings specified in the GPO won't be applied to computer objects.
                    The best solution to your problem would be to script it and get the script to run for local users as mentioned earlier by Rems and Dumber.

Ta
                    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

seems to all work in test environment

use GPO machine policy start up script to copy files

and the all users startup folder to implement changes directly via registry.

thank you all for your help

Comment

One question...
                        Why are you using Local accounts instead of domain accounts?
                        Like you can see it can give you a lot of headaches
                        Marcel
                        Technical Consultant
                        Netherlands
                        http://www.phetios.com
                        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                        X