Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• proxy.pac files

Hi,

I have a GPO configured for laptops, have put the auto configuration in and it all works what i can't figure out is a way to copy the proxy.pac file to all laptops in the same location so IE's proxy configuration will always be correct.

Thanks

Re: proxy.pac files

Do you mean you want to copy the file to be stored locally on the laptops?

Why would you want to do that? When the laptops are connected to the network, they will find the file on the server. When they're not on the laptop, they won't be going through the proxy anyway.

If you must do this, you'll have to use a startup script to copy the file to the laptop.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

yes but want the file locally available so when they are using their laptops while away the proxy.pac file can still be found.

so script is the only way eh, just wanted something neater............

Comment

A script through GP is the neatest solution you'll get. The alternatives would be to make the share containing that file available offline (not ideal) or to manually copy the file to each computer (even less ideal). A one line batch file (or just call the executable directly) to copy the file to the machine will add barely any time to the system boot up, will ensure that machines always have the most up to date version of the file available, and reduces the amount of work you have to do. And it's transparent to the end user.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

sounds good will need to take care of another problem first though

Comment

Originally posted by aviper4u View Post
            yes but want the file locally available so when they are using their laptops while away the proxy.pac file can still be found.

so script is the only way eh, just wanted something neater............
            So and then what? The proxy server can't be contacted and users might not be able to browse the internet from for example at home or at an customers site.
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
              The proxy server can't be contacted and users might not be able to browse the internet from for example at home or at an customers site.
              If that is what you are trying to achieve, then there are much better ways to do so. This would be a very clunky 'solution' that a user could easily get around.
              Gareth Howells

Comment

the reason i want to have the pac file locally is that is has the script decides whether to apply the proxy (internal) or direct connection (external)

if there is a better way that i have missed please train me

Comment

Working...
                X