Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Assigned software automatically redeploys when server IP changes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assigned software automatically redeploys when server IP changes?

Partly a query, partly a warning...

I shut down one of our member servers last night to perform hardware maintenance (not sure if the shutdown is related or not). That server holds the share that we use as the distribution point for software installaiton via Group Policy.

Around 3:30 am we had the following entry in the DNS server event log:

Source: DNS
    Category: None
    Type: Error
    Event ID: 4015
    USER: N/A
    Description: The DNS server has encountered a critical error from the Active Directory. Check that the Active Directory is functioning properly. The extended error debug information (which may be empty) is "000020EF: SvcErr: DSID-02080060, problem 5012 (DIR_ERROR), data -1014". The event data contains the error.

Now everybody's computer is reinstalling EVERY package that has been deployed through Group Policy.

The only other clue I have is that the file server has 2 IP addresses, previously pinging it got a reply from .252 and now it replies from .253

Surely though that wouldn't make a difference - the path to the software was specified using the hostname not the IP address.

Can anybody suggest where I can look for clues? There's no other errors in the event logs and I'm about to get my legs broken. Stores start work at 6am and they've only been able to login... it's 9am now.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Re: Assigned software automatically redeploys when server IP changes?

Would this be of any help?

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;909249
    Last edited by g00ner; 18th November 2008, 11:17.
    If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

Comment

Hadn't seen that and it looks like it could be an issue - we did have zones other than the zone for our domain in DNS before. We got rid of those several months ago, and checking DNS on the server seems to be fine. Plus that issue was supposedely fixed in SP2, and our servers are all fully up to date as of 5pm yesterday. Also it doesn't seem to link to the main problem we're experiencing which is the redployment of assigned packages. Thanks for the suggestion though.
      Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

In advanced settings on in network connections has the order in which the NIC's are accessed changed? If it has perhaps the GPO's are reapplied because as far as the network is concerned the DC has changed - thats a BIG stab in the dark!!
        If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

Comment

The distribution point isn't on the DC.
          Gareth Howells

Comment

It's been a slow morning so far so I've been doing a bit of thinking.

If you move a package from one group policy to another the package will be reinstalled. With this in mind I'm wondering if the same kind if thing has happened when your member server's IP has changed. Perhaps the DC thinks that the source has changed and has reapplied the software installation policy(ies).

Comment

It's certainly possible...

Thank you for your suggestions, I appreciate the thought you have put in to my nightmare. Most of the users are now logged in, those who switched their machines off during the installation and back on again are royally screwed, and I'm updating my CV. While sending status reports out to the managers pointing the finger at Bill, of course. Everyone but the technical manager has been placated by the screenshot of the DNS error
              Gareth Howells

Comment

Start defending yourself by sitting in the corner playing paperclips or something, the odd scream and nervous tic would help.. when the powers that be haul you over the carpet break down into tears and claim that you can't take it anymore. Say the company cat must have sneaked into the server room and sat on the keyboard..

I wish i could have given you a difinitive answer, good luck though.

Comment

Everyone except me is logged in now, I'm not looking forward to tonight though - gonna reboot all the machines to see if it's fixed or not. At least if I leave them on overnight they'll have 12 hours to sort themselves out.

12:00 almost, and order is almost restored.

This is what I love about IT. We can bring a company to its knees if we want.

Not that that's especially wise though - if the company goes down that's you out of a job

Rather ironic that Fortune just told me "Slow day. Practice crawling."
                  Last edited by gforceindustries; 18th November 2008, 13:12.
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

I hate having to do that, I have one server that's a bit dodgy and doesn't always like to restart, it always makes me nervous when i have to to that one - guess what I have to do at 6 tonight!!

Anyway good luck with and thanks for the rep points.

Comment

Thanks for your help.

Everybody's logged in now. I've rebooted my machines 10 times each and it all seems fine now.

Best nip to Tesco and get the senior manager who pays my wages some biscuits

Edit: Just thought I'd share this one with you... it took most people 3-4 hours for their machines to let them in. But of course theres always one user who has loads of problems but can't be bothered with the hassle of telling us about them.

It seems one person rebooted their laptop at 5:30 last night after the server came up, BEFORE the DNS failure. And it took from then until 12:00 today for it to finish installing the packages.

This is what happens when you annoy the IT admins enough for them to bump you down to 10MBit.
                      Last edited by gforceindustries; 18th November 2008, 20:39.
                      Gareth Howells

Comment

It's 2am and I am officially packing up for tonight. One of the downsides to broadband in the home is the ability to work over VPN I really need to get out more. I've listened to enough Bizet to recite the peal fishers opera backwards. I'll need to borrow one of the sales engineers for the duet Au Fond Du Temple Saint in the morning though.

I may have broken my brain, somewhere between mstsc and psshutdown.

I'm convinced that all except a handful of machines are fine. The problem machines are being bitchy in their own special ways - some a refusing RDC connections, one of them is refusing RDC because of a problem with encryption (encryption? I'll encrypt my foot up your @$$), one has just disappeared off the network entirely and isn't responding to WOL, and a couple have just hung and won't respond to shutdown requests... but still ping.
                        Last edited by gforceindustries; 19th November 2008, 02:56.
                        Gareth Howells

Comment

FYI. MS did have a RDC problem some months ago (after an update) that they were not able to replicate in their labs. However logging onto the affected machine locally (and then logging off) rectified the non connection problem.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks for the tip. The problem is with the network though, not the machine. Moving the PC to my desk fixes the problem. Moving it back to inspection breaks it again. Getting an IP address through DHCP takes considerably longer over there than it does at our end, for any machine connected down there. And Wireshark shows considerable levels of traffic, which we're not seeing the throughput to account for.

Thus supporting our suspicions that it's down to the length of thickwire. Yes, thickwire. God knows where they found that - the network only got installed 4 years ago. The fact that it runs through the factory with no shielding probably doesn't help, lot of interference. I've had the go ahead to replace it with fibre, as chances are we'll be building more offices down there anyway so it makes sense to go fibre not cat6. The distance also pushes us towards fibre - it's a 120m run.
                            Last edited by gforceindustries; 23rd November 2008, 21:18.
                            Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                            X