Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

user's home dir as default save location?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• user's home dir as default save location?

we just created user accounts for all students and assigned home dir(H to these accounts. Is there a way to make the user's home dir the default save location in MS Word thru gpo? just a note, there will be multiple user's sharing one workstation so just adding that user within Word it self will not do. thans for any input
    knowledge is power

Re: user's home dir as default save location?

I think you can achieve this by using Folder redirection. The default location to save anything is My Documents folder.
    You can use GPO to redirect this folder to a network share (Users home directory).
    If when you setup the home directories you used something like \\server\share\%username%, you can use the same (\\server\share\%username%) to configure the redirected location.

More info on folder redirection :http://www.msterminalservices.org/ar...direction.html

Ta
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Which Word version? Different versions of Office have different ADM files.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
        Which Word version? Different versions of Office have different ADM files.
        we have a mix of 2000, 2003 & 2007
        knowledge is power

Comment

Office 2007 is the first result on Google...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc178949.aspx

The fourth Google hit links to the Office 2003 resource kit and ADM files, with which you get an Excel spreadsheet of all of the policy settings http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/or...513711033.aspx

The fifth Google hit links to a newsgroup discussion suggesting that there is no option in the Office 2003 ADM files which would mean setting it manually on a workstation while running Process Monitor to see which registry key is being changed, then creating your own ADM file http://www.freelists.org/archives/gp.../msg00024.html
          Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

thanks for the replys and links fellas. I will go thru them and try them out.
            knowledge is power

Comment

ok, I tried what L4ndy suggested about using Folder redirection but no dice. Here's the thing, I have a computer policy redirecting 'My Document' to a Student share from another server. That's been running for a while now. I want to keep that policy but when I go into Word and save it's redirecting to the stundent share(computer policy) not the student's home dir(user policy). It seems the computer policy is overriding the user policy. Can I use the Folder redirection for the user accounts while still having the Folder redirection set for the computer accounts?

NOTE: I have an OU for the computer and an OU for the user.

thanks
              knowledge is power

Comment

I may have missed something here... how have you setup My Documents redirection at the computer level? I can't see any folder redirection options available through group policy in the Computer Configuration.
                Gareth Howells

Comment

If the same policy exists in the user section as in the computer section, then the computer policy will always win.
                  Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
                  I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
                  MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Can you give us more details about the existing computer policy? Have you got "Loopback processing" enabled at all?'
                    You can't have two policies for redirecting the same folder. you can either redirect "My documents" folder to the users home directory or to a different network or a local machine location if you wish.
                    For info only,Computer policies are applied when the computer is turned on and then User policies when the user logs on (Subsequently they are refreshed every 90 mins i think or different if specified in policy). The last policy applied is the winning one. The only exception is when "loopback processing"is enabled, then the computer policies are re-applied.
                    You can check with RSop if the GPO has been applied and who's the winning policy.

Cheers
                    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Well have you also looked at the suggestion of GeforceIndustries?
                      Although My documents is the default path, you can change it by using the correct ADM files which are available for download.

However, just like L4ndy and GeforceIndustries I'm also a bit lost.
                      I would recommend to start over in this thread and explain what you are trying to achieve and what you already have been done to make it work.

You also might start here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/or...513711033.aspx
                      Last edited by Dumber; 11th November 2008, 19:47.
                      Marcel
                      Technical Consultant
                      Netherlands
                      http://www.phetios.com
                      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

sorry for the confusion fellas. I will try to be alittle more clear this time. here is my setup: (NOTE: school environment)

ADUC
                        -Domain Level
                        |____Hs
                        |___Labs
                        |_HS Library <--- computer gpo applied here

in the 'HS Library' OU are the computers for that lab. I have a policy set for the 'HS Library' OU. Under the 'User Configuration' of this policy I have the 'My Documets' folder under the Folder Redirection set to a folder called 'docs' on the HS server. This is working fine for now because the students are only using one generic logon account(i.e.; hslib). But now every student will be getting their own account. I have the user accounts in a different OU. See below:

ADUC
                        -Domain Level
                        |____HS
                        |_Stundents
                        |_Seniors <--- user gpo applied here

I set the 'My Documents' folder under User Configuration>Folder Redirection to 'Root Path': \\<server name>\<share>\%username% for the students policy.
                        When I logon with the student account and open up MS Word and try to save it defaults to the computer policy folder redirection(first setup above). I would like to have the Seniors gpo folder redirection as the default 'save' location when the user saves in MS Word. Can this be accomplished using folder redirection or do I need to apply the Office ADM? I will also check to see if 'loopback processing' is enabled. Hope I was alittle more clear on this.
                        Last edited by techie211; 11th November 2008, 22:09.
                        knowledge is power

Comment

Working...
                        X