Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gpo failing problem.

Hi all .

i have a problem when i try to assign a software through the group policy . after i assign a software through the group policy in ad2003 , i get an error message on the client and its not being installed on it.

the full error on the event viewer on the client is :

"The assignment of application Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office system from policy office2007test failed. The error was : The system cannot find the path specified. "

the path of course is good , and i put the source in a reachable place with enough permissions for the user im trying to activate it.
    the path used was a UNC and it should have worked just fine.
    i can also run this MSI manually and it works just fine.
    also tried to operate this on another user with no luck. the same error again on the client.

i have a AD2003 in native mode and the user has an XP professional sp2.

any idea anyone ?

Re: Gpo failing problem.

Software can only be assigned to computers, not users. Please confirm whether you have assigned the software to a computer or published it to a user.

Recreate the policy and see if it works?

Confirm that Authenticated Users has read access to the repository. Where are the installation files stored? They should not be stored in NETLOGON.

Anything relevant in the event logs?

Any other software deployed through Group Policy, and did that work?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      Software can only be assigned to computers, not users.
      Where did you learn this?

Don5, have a look here, should help you.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816102
      Last edited by uk_network; 3rd November 2008, 11:15.
      Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
      I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
      MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

My bad. Was thinking of something else.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

"Group Policy Software Installation can only be used for per-computer installations for the 2007 Office system."

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc179214.aspx
          Last edited by Killerbe; 3rd November 2008, 12:08.
          [Powershell]
          Start-DayDream
          Set-Location Malibu Beach
          Get-Drink
          Lay-Back
          Start-Sleep
          Wake-Up!
          Resume-Service
          Write-Warning
          [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

It's the compatibility pack to open Office 2007 documents in Office 2003 - it's not actually an installation of Office. It doesn't need any user interaction and therefore doesn't need a mst transformation - it installs silently if assigned to computers.
            Gareth Howells

Comment

tnx for the info . but i already know the steps needed to do these things. however i read it again to be sure and did the same all over again. and i got the same error message regarding the "path not found" by the way , i made sure that all the permissions are there and all the needed stuff. everything is as it supposed to be......

any more ideas ?

Comment

Can you please post the full UNC path to the MSI including the filename?
                Gareth Howells

Comment

here it is : \\srraaitapp\office\012conv.msi

Comment

Pretty safe to say that's less than 255 characters, and there's no odd chars in there either.

And if you enter that exactly as posted in a Run dialog, even as a standard user, it's accessible?
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

Hi.
                      Download FileFormatConverters.exe
                      Install it then go to the directory
                      C:\Program Files\MSECache\O2007Cnv\1033
                      There are 3 files and one folder.
                      Copy these to a network share,
                      \\srraaitapp\office\

Next create and link a gpo to an OU with user accounts in. Call it fileformatconvert or something.
                      Right click>edit
                      User configuration>Software settings>Software installation>right click, new package,
                      This step is important, browse the network for the msi via My Network Places>Entire Network>Microsoft Windows Network
                      Find ur server share, then click the msi. I.e. \\srraaitapp\office\012conv.msi
                      choose assigned.

try gpupdate/force on the client, probibaly need to log off and back on.
                      Worked fine for me..

I had to write this twice, I lost the first one.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by uk_network; 3rd November 2008, 18:42.
                      I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

Originally posted by uk_network View Post
                        try gpupdate/force on the client, probibaly need to log off and back on.
                        Worked fine for me..
                        If it's assigned to a computer, then logging off and on is going to make no difference. While you're right that gpupdate /force will cause the computer to update its list of policies, assigned software is only installed at boot time. Therefore the machine would need to be rebooted, in my experience sometimes twice.
                        Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                          If it's assigned to a computer, then logging off and on is going to make no difference.
                          Maybe if the policy was under computer configuration it would be true, but it's not, it's under user configuration.
                          It installs fine, no reboot needed.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

Sorry, again, my bad. Didn't get much sleep last night >.>
                            Gareth Howells

Comment

lol i hear ya, good weekend then?

MCITP -W7,

Comment

Working...
                              X