Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folder Redirection Policy

Hi,

I've just had to move an old AD server out and install a new one to my home network. I had folder redirection set up where the PCs would synchronise to \\server1\profiles.

Obviously, now, the network name doesn't exist. I've created the new policy on the new server and the clients synchronise to the new location.

However, they still try to synchronise to the old server location (and fail each time). I've run a gpupdate /force on each client but this doesn't remove the old policy.

I'm sure I'm missing something very trivial here, but I only have very minimal experience in AD so I'd appreciate it if you could help me out on this one.

Thanks.

Re: Folder Redirection Policy

This would be better posted in the GPO forum, I've flagged this post for a mod to move it.

Until then... we had the same issue when we moved users My Documents to a new server. It worked for most people, but when it went wrong it was a pain to fix. We tried the following things, all of which seemed to work:

• reboot the machine without the network cable, then reboot it with the network cable connected
    • remove the local copy of the user's profile from the machine
    • disjoin and rejoin computer to the domain
    • reboot the domain controller

Have you run the Group Policy Best Practice Analyser?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

There is a policy setting under folder redirection that specifies what to do when the policy is changed. It may be set to move files to new location. Try changing that setting. I dont have a console in front of me otherwise i'd give you more detail but try that.
      Technology is only as good as those who use it

My tech blog - wiredtek.wordpress.com

Comment

In the policy deselect the two options

1. Grant the user exclusive rights to the folder name
        2. Move the contents of My Documents to the new location

Then do gpupdate/force on the client.

restart, and it will pick up the new path.

On the server where the profiles are u'll have to go in to the properties of the profiles and take out the authenticated users/full control and then give the profile owner (test1) full control instead.

another way is to delete the local profile from c:\documents and settings\
        rebooted and it picked up the new policy.
        Last edited by uk_network; 7th November 2008, 21:27.
        Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
        I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
        MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Originally posted by uk_network View Post
          it will pick up the new path
          It should, but that didn't fix it for us.

Basically, whatever you do, make sure you have a contingency plan for it the planned changes fail.
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
          X