Custom Marquee Force Through GPO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Marquee Force Through GPO

How can I? I can force the Marquee as the SS, but it is the default settings for the scroll 9ex. It scrolls "Place your text here".

I need it to have the companies name and motto. When I set it on my PC...copied it out to a share....set it in GPO...it just made everyone's screensaver a marquee, but the defaule marquee.

I even created a .reg file and put it in startup, but still, a no go.

Please help.

Re: Custom Marquee Force Through GPO

What does the reg file contain?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
      [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Screen Saver.Marquee]
      "BackgroundColor"="0 0 255"
      "CharSet"="0"
      "Font"="Tahoma"
      "Mode"="1"
      "Size"="48"
      "Speed"="7"
      "Text"="Company Name- Motto"
      "TextColor"="128 128 128"
      "Attributes"="00011"

This sets the marquee, but it doesn't set it as the screensaver.

Comment

That looks like its correct, I'm not in front of a Windows box at the moment to check though. If you create a logon script that imports these registry settings at each user logon, then it should work.

Maybe try using something like Process Monitor to see what changes are made to the registry when you set the options manually, maybe you could have missed something.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Well, it does work as far as it sets the settings, but it doesn't set the marquee as the current screensaver. If I manually set the screen saver to marquee, then all is well.

Is there another setting that sets the screensaver? If so, I could put BOTH .reg's in a login script.

Comment

Group Policy:
            User Configuration - Administrative Templates - Control Panel - Display - Screen Saver Executable Name
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Question

Your post rocks!

Comment

Ossian..Yeah, I know where to change it.

OK...I was testing on a Vista machine. bad idea.

Here is what I did:

I exported the marquee reg file out, put in the log in script and then set the GPO to force the marquee screensaver.

Now...if I need to start another thread, please let me know. but, i have servers that I need to deny this policy to. I created a group in AD and added it to this policy, put the server in this group, and then denied it on everything. It didn't work. I can deny a username, and the policy doesn't work. But if I deny a computer, it still enforces the policy.

Comment

It's a user setting not a computer setting. To enforce user-level settings at a machine level, you need to use group policy loopback processing.
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

Can I set it at the machine level, as opposed to user level, and it work by denying a certain machine right to that policy? If so, what is the path to the screensaver setting in the machine level?

Comment

No, it is not a computer setting, it is only a user setting. To apply user settings to any user of a given machine, you must create a GPO linked to that computer's OU and use group policy lookback processing.

What I think you're trying to do will require some computers to be moved into a different OU, with different group policies applied.
                      Gareth Howells

Comment

When I right click on the Computer's OU, I cannot change the policy.

Should I create a new OU, name it Exempt Screensaver Policy...move all the machines I want exempt to this new OU from the Computer OU. Then make a domain wide policy forcing the screensaver...then in the exempt OU, create a totally different policy?

Sorry if I am confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by Truck View Post
                          When I right click on the Computer's OU, I cannot change the policy.

Should I create a new OU, name it Exempt Screensaver Policy...move all the machines I want exempt to this new OU from the Computer OU. Then make a domain wide policy forcing the screensaver...then in the exempt OU, create a totally different policy?

Sorry if I am confusing.
                          It sounds to me like your computers are currently in the Computers container. This has a different icon to OUs in ADUC, because it is not actually an OU. As such, it cannot have GPOs linked to it.

But in short, yes. Under the current container of machine accounts, create a new OU which will contain the computers you want to apply the new policy to. Create a new GPO linked to the new OU and put your different settings in there. That way, every machine will be subject to the policies defined in the default domain policy, and the machines in the new OU will have that policy overridden by your new policy.
                          Gareth Howells

Comment

Dude...1,000 rep pionts if I can get this to work!!!!

Comment

Post back if it doesn't work and I'll do you a quick guide on here.

Rep points, beers, 1000 of either works for me
                              Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                              X