Making Wallpaper GPO go away?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Wallpaper GPO go away?

I have a user whose machine is still a part of the domain, however they never actually connect to the domain. They work from home.

When their machine was in our network it received the GPO to set the desktop background.

Since they are at home, they would like to/need to change the background. But all of the options are of course grayed out..

How can I release that control such that they can now change the background?

I've tried:

REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Po licies\ActiveDesktop" /v NoChangingWallPaper /t REG_DWORD /d 0

REG ADD "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Po licies\ActiveDesktop" /v NoChangingWallPaper /t REG_DWORD /d 0

to no avail.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    David

Re: Making Wallpaper GPO go away?

Place the clients in a different ou, disable the policies on that ou and connect them to the domain.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Is VPN connectivity set up? If so, you could have the user connect via VPN and then run gpupdate on their machine. After Dumber's suggestion of moving the machine to a different OU. I should point out that while I would expect that to work, it depends on the speed of their connection and the 'slow link' threshold set on your domain. Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing if users who work from home had to bring their laptops in to connect to the domain every so often anyway. For a start, if their profile gets synchronised to the server, they get their stuff backed up

Even if they work at home though, it's still a company machine, so corporate branding is appropriate. While I'm sure they would *like* to change the wallpaper, why would they need to?
      Last edited by gforceindustries; 16th October 2008, 20:18.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
        Place the clients in a different ou, disable the policies on that ou and connect them to the domain.
        I created a new OU for that user, moved them into it... Went to Group Policy Management. Disabled inheritance that OU. No GPO's show up in the Group Policy Inheritance tab.

Yet, it's still grayed out..

This one is turning out to be a little frustrating

dw

Comment

Has that user's laptop connected to the domain since the change in order to update its list of GPOs?
          Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Yes! And for kicks I did a gpupdate /force just to make sure...

Comment

If possible, logon as an affected user onto a machine they've never used before, and see if they are able to change their wallpaper on that machine. Occasionally, an underlying problem can cause group policy updates to take a while to take effect (plus you need to consider the replication time if there are other DCs?), and sometimes it just doesn'twork at all. We recently changed the My Documents redirection policy for most of our staff, and while it worked for most of them there were a few we couldn't get it to work for at all.

Leave it half an hour, go get a coffee and/or curry (while its generally frowned upon to have a pint at the office, curry is certainly allowed under our company policy ) and then try it on a different machine. If you run gpresult on the machine, what does it show?
              Gareth Howells

Comment

A pint Can I come work with you? I haven't even gotten lunch yet.

I logged the user into a different machine, and they can change desktops..

I ran gpresult and that GPO is not being applied to the machine anymore.. So it's something with that user on that machine.. I can login as Administrator on that machine and change wallpaper..

I did notice that bringing up Desktop Properties as that user on that machine takes forever, and switching over the the desktop tab takes even longer.

dw

Comment

I'll get back to you once my takeaway arrives
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

Good curry, you're hired! I have some ground rules though. Firstly, daily tests of the VPN connectivity to be carried out from the pub that has free wifi.

Secondly... do you actually even need me to tell you any more of the perks of working with me?
                    Last edited by gforceindustries; 16th October 2008, 21:57.
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

Do I need to move near you? Or can I test from my local pub?

Should I put on my resume that I brew my own beer, and roast my own coffee?

dw

Comment

Skip the CV, come for an interview. It'll be in the pub, and the questions will largely revolve around how many pints it's acceptable to drink during lunch break. Oh, and it's pretty much impossible to fail the interview. If you don't relocate, then how can we get our rounds in?
                        Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                        X