Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help merging Reg Key

Hi all

I have a reg key in .reg format that I need to merge with all my user's PC's - it is setting Default Statinaery setting within outlook.

I added the line:

regedit /s \\path\to\reg

and when I tested it, it worked fine....except, on a normal user's machine it doesnt work, becuase they dont have permission to edit the registry.

What is the best way of doing this? I looked in GPMC, and I cant see anywhere to allow the users to edit their registy.

Under Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Registry I cant add the key in there, becuase it doesnt give me the HKEY_CURRENT_USER in the tree.

Thanks for any help in this!

Re: Help merging Reg Key

You may find that you are able to apply this setting using a group policy rather than by directly modifying the registry. Have you tried the Office ADM files?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

what about running it with RanAs?
      or you could always use "psexec" by SYSINTERNALS (Microsoft these days).
      with a nice list of all the computers you would want to run them on in a txt file
      Run this from your machine once and your done to all the Computers on the list
      psexec @c:\temp\Computers.txt -u DOMAIN\DomainAdminUser -p MyPassword "regedit /s \\path\to\reg"
      Last edited by Akila; 15th October 2008, 13:35.

Comment

Unfortunately Office ADM files lack any real detail, the most I can do with them is enable or disable Stationery - not able to say "use this one".

I will try psexec if I dont get any joy with this but I'd prefer not using 4rd party software.

Anyways, after some research I think my question has changed a bit.

I read that I can actually put the .reg file in the Netlogon folder, and have a startup script (which runs as the SYSTEM account) import that key.

Sounds all good, I made and tested a .bat file to import the reg key.

However, the key is still not being imported it seems. I forced a GPO Update, rebooted the machine. It now gains a "Running Startup Script" stage but when I check for the key value it isnt there

Comment

Can you post the contents of your reg file? If you're trying to merge it into HKEY_CURRENT_USER then naturally that will only work if there is current(ly) a user logged in
          Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Oh crap....why didnt I think of that!

Code:
            Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\MailSettings]
            "NewStationery"=hex(2):56,00,57,00,57,00,00,00
            Thats it...just the one key!

How do I do this then?

Comment

Create a logon script that runs when the user logs on (you can do this with group policy) - if a user isn't able to write to HKEY_CURRENT_USER then something is a little bit odd there.
              Gareth Howells

Comment

If I run the reg file while logged on as a user I get the error:

Cannot import \\server\share\file.reg. Error accessing the registry.

I have combed the settings in GP, I havent specifcally denied access in any way....

help

Comment

Log on as a user who's experiencing this issue, and then try to manually add that data to the registry. Does it work?
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

No, same permission error

Comment

Tried 2 more machines, same thing.

By default, are users given permission to HKEY_CURRENT_USER?

Comment

also tried psexec as suggested before, and it ends with:

regedit.exe exited on computername with error code 0

Code 0 normally means no error I think, but upon checking the client machine the reg key STILL isnt there

Why is this so hard? Surely plenty of organisations have to jump over the very same hurdle as I'm trying to do!

Comment

that is b/c it is "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" hive. it won't go in using psexec b/c you are running it with a different user then the HKEY_CURRENT_USER
                          you want to place it in.

Comment

A user does not have the permissions to edit entries that are under his/her "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ ... \POLICIES" keys in the registry.
                            ( And we are lucky w/ that )

You could run a logon script with alternate credentials, the script runned as an administrator determines the SID of the current user and can use this to merge the registry values to the proper key under the HKEY_USERS hive. But since users can read content of the logon scripts, that would be a security risk.
                            Or, alternatively you could run the command (or script) also by using psExec - manually executed by an network administrator from a server, after the user is logged on.

Have you looked at the ADM's available for Office if you perhaps can change the value by GPO? (after all it IS a policy you like to change)
                            - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc179081.aspx
                            - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/or...402401033.aspx

\Rems
                            Last edited by Rems; 16th October 2008, 17:59.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                            and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

HKCU\..\Policies usualy supercedes another registry setting so as to not overwrite the default settings. You could instead update the original registry entry bypassing the permissions problem with HKCU\..\Policies

Comment

Working...
                              X