No announcement yet.

Another Wallpaper thread...

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Wallpaper thread...

This time, there's a twist:

Some time ago when we had some really stupid interns I had configured group policy to hide the desktop tab in display properties. I also enabled the option for preventing changing the wallpaper.

Today, I have users who want to change their wallpapers and I went into the group policy and changed the entries I changed before but the desktop tab is staying hidden and users cannot use any image format to change the background.

What am I missing here? I never remember going into the active desktop settings to change anything there.

I thought that when something is enabled, by disabling it, it is supposed to delete the registry entry. Is this not the case?

This is becoming a headache to figure out how to back out of what I did 3 years ago!

I think I scr*wed myself on this one...

BTW I already ran "gpupdate /force" on the machines and rebooted them 4 times.

Who's got the fix for my blunder???

Re: Another Wallpaper thread...

Well my initial reaction is tell them it is a business machine and they shouldn't change them. Get the business to provide a desktop wallpaper and try pushing that out!

Assuming the policy actually hits the machines (check gpresult etc). Then can you list what changes you have just made?
    Where is this policy too? Is it the default domain one etc?
    You could always block the GPO from a user to test for example.

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Andy, the policy resides in one department.

The changes I made:
      Attached Files

I checked gpresult /Z and everything is being pulled down as it should.

I've even manually made registry changes but nothing seems to bring the desktop tab back...

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\System]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System]

KB922370 "The Desktop tab does not appear in the Display Properties dialog box in Windows XP"

(additional info about the registry entry:

via GPO:
          Navigate to User Configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Windows Explorer /
          change "Turn On Classic Shell" to 'Not configured'

Last edited by Rems; 9th October 2008, 22:18.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
          and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

OK, I will try that this morning and report back.

I still cannot get the desktop tab to come back...any other ideas?