Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPO concept questions

Hi,

I'd like to ask several questions regarding Group Policy Object in Windows Server 2003 Active Directory,

I've deployed two DC and one is acting as the Schema master and the other as Infra, RID Master and Operation Master x64 with MS Exchange Server 2007 SP1 installed.

and the questions are:

1. What is "Default Domain Controller Policy" ? can we edit this GPO to reduce the number of GPO templates ?

2. usually I edit and apply GPO from my Schema Master DC by using "gpmc.msc" is this the right way to do it ?

3. Does the C:\Windows\Inf dir which contains *.AER file content is replicated to the rest of the workstation? since I've got error in one particular file when i run "RSOP.msc" the result is also pointing to the same .AER file that is broken.

any idea and opinion for those questions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
    ________
    CBR250
    Last edited by Albertwt; 21st January 2011, 11:14.

Re: GPO concept questions

1. This is the default policy that is applied only to the Domain Controllers OU. Don't edit it unless you know specifically why you want to/need to.

2. In a single domain environment group policy will replicate around all domain controllers so it doesn't really matter where you edit it (if DC's are across multiple sites/links then you have delays of course). The GPMC is good for the task.

3. AER may be application error reporting? Not sure on this one I'm afraid. What is the error you get?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Here's the error message:

The following error occurred in C:\WINDOWS\Inf\AER_1044.ADM on line 189:

Error 64 Help string specified more than once

The file can not be loaded.

after i run RSOP.msc on every single desktop and member server.

any idea of how to fix this ?

thanks.
      ________
      Harley-Davidson FXSTB
      Last edited by Albertwt; 21st January 2011, 11:14.

Comment

This "may" be a known issue according to
        http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/M..._22628560.html
        Sometimes you can view these by scrolling right to the bottom.

It was fixed by a call to MS but appears to be just a corrupt template, try moving that file to another folder to test (this person had about 9 that were possibly corrupt). It was also suggested re-installing the SP might help although I don't know if this was done.
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
        X