GPMC question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPMC question

hey ppl, I can right-click a GPO in 'Group Policy Objects' and select 'Back Up...' and the backup works but when I actually go to the OU to 'restore' I don't see the restore option I also have the 'copy' option but cannot 'paste' to the OU I'd like to. I do not want to link the gpo's as some settings are different. The server is Windows Server 2003 and GPMC is sp1. Any help is appreciated
    knowledge is power

Re: GPMC question

You don't restore GPO's at the OU as that's not where they "live" You backup and restore GPO's in the GroupP Policy Objects section of GPMC. GPO's are linked to OU's, they are not stored in the OU's.

Comment

ah, thanks for the reply. I guess what I'm trying to do is 'copy' a gpo from one OU to another.
      knowledge is power

Comment

Originally posted by techie211 View Post
        ah, thanks for the reply. I guess what I'm trying to do is 'copy' a gpo from one OU to another.
        Don't bother; just link the GPO to both OUs.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
          Don't bother; just link the GPO to both OUs.
          I'd prefer that BUT the two policies require different settings and when I change one it gets applied to the other.
          knowledge is power

Comment

Create another policy then?
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by techie211 View Post
              As Joeqwerty mentioned before, GPOs are only linked to the OU but they are stored at the Domain level partly in Active Directory (GP Container) and partly in SYSVOL (GP Templates).
              GPMC then referrs to this Virtual Group Policy Container.
              With that in mind you can create, copy, delete, backup, restore etc GP objects from there and Link them to the required OU. This should be the logical way of doing it but there are shortcuts that can confuse us a bit.
              Have a look at this for more info (especially the Group Policy architecture): http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc779838.aspx

Thanks
              Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
              X