Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• User home Drive

I hope someone can help me on this one.

Our Environment the homefolder is set within the userobject in AD.
    Now as we are an International organisation, people from all over are connecting to our datacenter using Citrix and Terminal Services. We saw that the mapping of the homefolder is decreasing the performance of the servers.

To stop te mapping of the Homedrive which is set in the user profile, we created a local policy on the server to set the Terminal services home drive as it overrules the home directory setting in the user object. I have tested this on one server and it is working as expected, now i was trying it on another server and there it does not seem to work.

I can see that the local policy is applied, but when i open the explorer is still see the home drive mapped too the server as set in the userobject.

Again according to my knowledge and supported by numerous MS articles, it should work.

Is anybody seeing a reason why it isn't working?
    Last edited by Killerbe; 19th September 2008, 11:04.
    [Powershell]
    Start-DayDream
    Set-Location Malibu Beach
    Get-Drink
    Lay-Back
    Start-Sleep
    Wake-Up!
    Resume-Service
    Write-Warning
    [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Re: User home Drive

Maybe my initial question was unclear.
    We have a homefolder defined in each and every user account within AD.
    We do not want this home folder to be set within Citrix-Terminal Services. Now we know that the profile settings are overruled with the settings (If Set) defined in the TS part of the profile, when the user logs on to Citrix-Terminal services. We also know that policies override the settings defined in the AD object.

The management has still to decide where and on which level they want to implement this within the organisation. As a matter of POC we have implemented a local policy on a server, which worked as expected. Now to resolve the most critical servers from the issue, we implemented the same setting through a local policy. testing the settings after the policy was set, made clear that on some servers the setting within the local policy was applied, while it was not on others which had the same policy applied. We have checked each and every server to see if the local policy was applied by running GPRESULT. GPRESULT showed that the local policy was applied, as it should (L->S->D->OU).

Trying to find and answer we applied the same settings in a policy applied to an OU (in a test environment), in which 4 server are kept. There we saw the same thing. Policy is being applied on one server while not on the other. We checked the policies through GPresult and the group policy result wizard within GPMC and both say that the TS HOME folder should be set to a local folder. But when you connect to the server, you still see the home folder defined in the user object in AD. We have rebooted the server to make sure that the policy is applied, and have removed the profiles.

It is clear that we do not want the clear the Home Folder settings in the AD object, as the user should get there home folder set when logging on the there desktop. The ussage of the homefolder patch in the user object, was implemented recently, as we used scripts before to handle mappings.

I have checked the registry of a server that does not set the correct settings.
    There i see that the settings defined in the policy are applied to TS home folder location in the registry.
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services\WFHomeDir

So we clearly see that the policy is applied to the server(s).
    Yet when we check the Windows Explorer, we can clearly see that the homefolder set in the AD userobject is still set.
    [Powershell]
    Start-DayDream
    Get-Drink
    Lay-Back
    Start-Sleep
    Wake-Up!
    Resume-Service
    Write-Warning
    [/Powershell]

Comment

Re: User home Drive

Found the answer.
      It seems that you need to create the folder to which you set the TS home folder before you apply the policy. When the folder exists, the policy works like a charm on every server. If you do not create the folder, the folder will somethimes be created, but somethimes it doesn't create the folder. If the folder isn't created the policy doesn't work. I thought that the fact that the folder wasn't created was part of the symptomes, but now it seems to be the cause.
      [Powershell]
      Start-DayDream
      Get-Drink
      Lay-Back
      Start-Sleep
      Wake-Up!
      Resume-Service
      Write-Warning
      [/Powershell]

Comment