need a way to prevent auto restart of servers after updates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need a way to prevent auto restart of servers after updates

Is there anyway to prevent a server from automatically restarting after an update has been installed via wsus, that requires a reboot?

I need the servers to wait a period of time before they reboot,or just not reboot at all, as we have 3rd party software that reboots the servers at set scheduled times, and I do not need them rebooting out of order because of the updates. i can not do the option to download and notify, because the server environment is too large to do that manually. I have been told this isnt possible only using WSUS and active directory. Id like to get some opinions here.
    Last edited by Rvickers; 14th August 2008, 19:32.

Re: need a way to prevent auto restart of servers after updates

Yes, it is wise to do this. I also prevent autorestarts on all the servers I manage for similar reasons as you and several of them are 24/7, or at least need some planning before a restart.

Here is what I do on each of the servers (you may be able to convert this to a GPO for your entire domain):
    • In the Start Menu go to Run type “gpedit.msc” and press Enter
    • Now a Group Policy editor will open. In this window navigate to: Computer Configuration -> Administrative Template -> Windows Components -> Windows Update
    • Double click on No auto-restart for scheduled Automatic Updates installations
    • In the settings window Choose Enabled and click OK
    • Close Group Policy Editor
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

I have looked at this option, however reading the details on the policy object states that its for logged on users. Will this option prevent scheduled instalation restarts even when a user is not logged into the server?

Comment

If no user is logged on, I believe that the server will still reboot automatically which for you I understand is a bad thing. My servers all have a user logged onto them (although locked) because the servers are being checked by someone each day and these guys don't log off, they just lock them, so the above setting works but you're right, it works only when a user is logged on (which is fine for me).

But for you, I think there is no effective way to prevent a reboot if nobody is logged onto the server (other than to configure Windows Updates to download but not install which I can see you prefer not to do because of the large number of servers).
        Best wishes,
        PaulH.

Comment

That might be a possiblity to keep it locked... but if that will work, I have an additional question. is the delay restart setting attributed to the 5 min default of the setting you recommended?

Comment

Yes, that's right, but you can only delay by up to 30 minutes.
            Best wishes,
            PaulH.

Comment

Working...
            X