My Docs/Desktop redirection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Docs/Desktop redirection

I have a friend at his business who has about 10 desktop PC's, the previous admin had created a GPO to redirect there My Docs & Desktop data to the server. The polices are pictured below ( i cut off Computer Config because no settings are set there). I am not to good at GPO, just trying to help a friend out. This is a Windows 2003 SBS w/ SP2, with Windows XP clients. I did a GPRESULT to see that the police pictured below has been applied on the certain user's desktops.

The couple of questions I have are:

1. Does this enable offline files? So if I were to shutdown the server they still should have copies on there machines correct? The reason I ask is because when I disconnect a network cable from any machine. All My Docs & Desktop items disappear.

2. If this does enable offline files shouldn't every icon/file redirected have the sync arrows next to it? (currently some people do, some people don't)

3. When a user logs on should the file sync occur? I thought it should only occur when they log off. I ask because 1 user the sync occurs during login, and once it complete, all of his icons/files disappear from My Docs & Desktop. If he cancels this sync before it occurs he is ok.

Be easy on me, I'm here to learn

Re: My Docs/Desktop redirection

You still need to make the files available offline. Redirecting them and setting the offline settings in the GPO does not actually set them up to be available offline. You should go to the share where the My Documents folders are redirected to and set the offline settings on the folder(s).

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      You still need to make the files available offline. Redirecting them and setting the offline settings in the GPO does not actually set them up to be available offline. You should go to the share where the My Documents folders are redirected to and set the offline settings on the folder(s).
      So I enabled this on the parent folder which holds all the redirected files. Hopefully that resolves my issue with that (I will know later today). How come certain users show the sync icon (see above) on there desktop/my docs items before I made this change?
      Last edited by brcmadmin; 25th July 2008, 15:37.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post

So I did this on the "users" folder which is home to all of my users home directories. (Set in the AD properties) once I lose network connection all my files go away and I do not go into "offline" mode

Comment

So my client is ok with disabling offline files all together. They just want to keep the folder redirection. I disabled Offline Files in the GPO:

\Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Network\Offline Files\Allow or Disallow use of the Offline Files feature

I also removed caching from the user share folder

I have 2 users who still do a File Sync when the log on/off. If the sync complete all off there desktop and My Docs items disappear. If I cancel the sync before it complete everything works as normal.

Anyone ever see this?

Comment

brcmadmin,
            Log into client computer where users still have offline files worked with admin credential. From run menu connect to folder that contain offline files by typing UNC path (\\Server name\Share name), right click on this folder and deselect "Make Available Offline" option. This will stop file synchronization.

Comment

Working...
            X