Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disable usb disk with GPO not working fine

hi,
    i have follow http://www.petri.com/disable_usb_disks_with_gpo.htm & performed up to steps no4. it successfull block usb drive already insert in the first place before apply with GPO. if i insert any new usb drive, it will detect it & allow me to use it, after then i can use back the previous usb drive which was block by GPO.
    so i have to run gpupdate /force from CMD to block this two usb drive again. samething happen if i plug in third usb drive. Wonder why?

windows 2003 DCs, winxp pro sp2.
    we added domain user login account to local computer/notebook administrators group as some software needed to run with local administrator right. i know it shouldn't be the way....

Re: disable usb disk with GPO not working fine

Same Error here, please advise.

Comment

Re: disable usb disk with GPO not working fine

Originally posted by guyncp View Post
      we added domain user login account to local computer/notebook administrators group as some software needed to run with local administrator right. i know it shouldn't be the way....
      While this shouldn't affect the disabling of USB storage, you should know that this is not a good idea. Create a script that uses runas to run the application as a different user with administrative priviliges (local admin, not domain admin - use Restricted Groups), encrypt the script so your users can't find the password, and point shortcuts to the program to the script instead.

Edit: Just saw original post date. Rather impressive 6 month bump...

Dantes, unless your situation is exactly the same as guyncp's, then you should probably have started your own thread. Assuming that you have also performed steps up to step 4, there is an additional step that you need to carry out.
      Last edited by gforceindustries; 11th December 2008, 07:39.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
      X