Group Policy problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group Policy problem

I have setup a GPO on a OU, but still only one machine out of the four has actually done what I intended the GPO to do in contacting the WSUS server.

What can I look for or how can I see what is on that client machine that it would take the GP.

The GPO reconfigures the computer policy to seek a WSUS server basically.

Re: Group Policy problem

I would take a look at the windowsupdate.log file in the windows directory of the clients. This may not be group policy related at all.

You can also run rsop.msc on the clients to see what policies are being applied. But more then likely this is a wsus issue as opposed to a GPO issue. I would also check the event logs.
    Technology is only as good as those who use it

My tech blog - wiredtek.wordpress.com

Comment

Apart from what Wiredteknologies said, I'd first check the WSUS server itself. If the computer accounts in question are there it means the GPO has been applied.
      Then you can check for any errors on the Computer accounts on the WSUS server.
      You could even try wuauclt /detectnow from each client to start a communication with the server, that's presuming the GPO has been applied.

Cheers
      Last edited by L4ndy; 16th July 2008, 17:06.
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Make sure wuausrv is started as well!
        VCP on vSphere (4), MCITP:EA/DBA, MCTS:Blahblah

Comment

Originally posted by Mudd View Post
          only one machine out of the four has actually done what I intended....
          Do you have the machines cloned? and left with the same client GUID.

Compare this registry entry for duplicate values on different machines:
          HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Win dowsUpdate\SUSClientID
          (?) - If so then,
          1) Delete these entries on the machines:
          - HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ WindowsUpdate\PingID
          - HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ WindowsUpdate\SusClientId
          - HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ WindowsUpdate\AccountDomainSid
          2) Then, stop/start the "Automatic Updates" service.
          3) Finally, run: wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow

You can do this by computer startupscript:
          http://forums.petri.com/showthread.p...2952#post62952

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
          and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Working...
          X