Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Office 2007 with GPO

Hi All,

I have exhausted all resources in trying to install Office 2007 Proffesional via the GPO. I have followed all intsructions listed on the technet site; no luck.

I have created the MSP file and placed it in the Updates folder. I read that the settings in the config.xml file take precedence over the MSP file. It installs Office 2007 but retains the Office 2003 version even when the MSP file has it to uninstall. This goes to show that the MSP file is not being used.

My config.xml file :

<Configuration Product="ProPlus">

<Display Level="full" CompletionNotice="yes" SuppressModal="yes" AcceptEula="yes" />

<Logging Type="standard" Path="%temp%" Template="Microsoft Office Professional Plus Setup(*).txt" />

<PIDKEY Value="V*******************8" />

<USERNAME Value="%Username%" />

<COMPANYNAME Value="My Company" />

<INSTALLLOCATION Value="%programfiles%\Microsoft Office" />

<SOURCELIST Value="\\Server\support\install\applications\micro soft\office2k7" />

<DistributionPoint Location="\\Server\support\install\applications\mi crosoft\office2k7" />

<OptionState Id="OptionID" State="absent" Children="force" />

<Setting Id="Reboot" Value="IfNeeded" />

<Command Path="%windir%\system32\msiexec.exe" Args="/i \\Server\support\install\applications\microsoft\of fice2k7\ProPlus.WW\ProPlusWW.msi" QuietArg="/q" ChainPosition="after" Execute="install" />

</Configuration>

I followed the instructions listed in here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/library...echNet.10).aspx but it kept failing with VB script errors.

i tried adding the MSI file as a Software package but I get an error as shown in the image

can someone please help.

Thanks,

Re: Office 2007 with GPO

First I don't do this directly so I may be all wet but our "Angels" -- long story -- had me write a small CMD file that does an "if exist" and then runs the MSI or SETUP.EXE or ??? from there. CMD file is run via GPO I'm pretty darn sure. May be old school but we're more than 1/2 way through the O2K3 to O2K7 migration on more than 700 machines. And our VPN users can run the CMD file directly.

First trick was to get the MSI to run interactively. After that, it was a piece of cake.
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

thanks for the reply,
      where do I put the cmd file in GPO. Do you mind sharing the cmd file as I have created a custom msp file I would love to use with setup.exe

Thanks,

Sameer

Comment

I'll post that on Sunday (our first day of the week). I've set an Outlook reminder to ask the "angels" how this is done.
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks...will wait for your email

Comment

Here's the CMD file:

Code:
            @echo off
            cls

if not exist "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\winword.exe" (
            	echo ***** Installing Office 2007 *****  
            	echo This will take some time. 
            	echo Please DO NOT close this window.
            	echo.
            	\\<server name>\<O2K7 Setup>\setup.exe /adminfile \\<server name>\<O2K7 Setup>\Updates\custom.msp
            	echo.
            	echo Exiting...
            	\\<server name>\<O2K7 Setup>\sleep 3
            )
            Replace <...> with appropriate stuff. sleep.exe is optional of course and comes from some W2K resource kit.

The "angels" tell me they are running this in the startup script for a selected Active Directory OU.

To learn about MSP files and Admin installs, try:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...in+install+msp
            Cheers,

Rick

Comment

This works like a charm.

Thanks for the instructions

Comment

Working...
              X