Windows Server 2008 in an AD2003 domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Server 2008 in an AD2003 domain

I have a Windows 2008 member server in an 2003 domain. Are GPOs compatible with 2008 servers?

2008 server has more and different services so will there be a problem restricting the services through a GPO?

I created a GPO through GPMC on a windows 2008 member server. However when I open the policy on the 2003 domain controller I cannot see most of the services.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Re: Windows Server 2008 in an AD2003 domain

It should just be a case of uploading the ADM templates from the Windows 2008 server onto one of your 2003 DCs... I've never done this with 2008 ADM files but it worked fine with previous versions (i.e. 2000 domain, Windows XP machines)...

I hope this helps...

Comment

Originally posted by swav View Post
      It should just be a case of uploading the ADM templates from the Windows 2008 server onto one of your 2003 DCs... I've never done this with 2008 ADM files but it worked fine with previous versions (i.e. 2000 domain, Windows XP machines)...

I hope this helps...
      Please note that Vista and Windows 2008 uses ADMX template (Written in XML).
      I think you can still use ADM templates in Vista or 2008 based machines with Group policy editor on but you can't use ADMX in a 2003 based machine.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc709647.aspx

Ta
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

I assume you're talking about the 'Computer Configuration --> Windows Settings --> Security Settings --> System Services'.
        If so, then the admx is not relevant, because the system usses a simple inf file to handle this.

You have two options:

1. Open the GPMC from a Windows 2008 computer (and then you'll be able to see the services installed on that computer)

-- or --

2. Use any machine for the configuration, configure any service to do whatever you want and then:
        A. through GPMC, click on the GPO you just set and look at the 'Unique ID' value in the Details tab.
        B. Open %logonserver%\sysvol\<Domain FQDN>\Policies\<GPO Unique ID>\Machine\Microsoft\Windows NT\SecEdit\GptTmpl.ini
        C. Under the '[Service General Setting]' label, you'll find the service you configured. Just change the name to the service name you want to alter.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart-X View Post
          If so, then the admx is not relevant, because the system usses a simple inf file to handle this.
          Please read the post carefully and don't take it out of the context.
          In my post I brought ADMX in because what was suggested and I did quote them.

Thanks
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
          X