Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing to windows classic theme GPO

Hi

I've googled until smoke came out trying to figure out how to change the display properties in the theme tab to windows classic through GPO, but the only options that are being changed are in the appearance tab to windows classic style.

I'm also looking for an option through GPO to change to the visual parameter to : "adjust for best performance" but we could only found scripts that are doing this...

it's really annoying

any suggestions?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by poly; 23rd June 2008, 09:00.

Re: Changing to windows classic theme GPO

GPO

navigate to:

User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Control Panel/Display/Desktop Themes
    What do I know, I am only 26.

Comment

Originally posted by GrantThomas View Post
      GPO

navigate to:

User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Control Panel/Display/Desktop Themes
      As I said - we did this already, instead of changing the theme to "windows classic" (in theme tab) it changes to "windows classic style" (in the appearance tab)...

Comment

Im not sure if this will work but you can test it.
        turn on the classic shell:
        User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Windows components | Windows Explorer
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Have you already seen any of the suggestions in this article?

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art.../winxpgpe.html

EDIT:
          Let me see if I understand this correctly. You're saying that following the procedure in this article: http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true doesn't change the theme but only changes the appearance? So navigating to the GPO User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Control Panel/Display/Desktop Themes and enabling it doesn't change the actual theme? Even explicitly using the %windir%\resources\themes\Windows Classic.theme path in the GPO doesn't change the theme?

Weird.
          Last edited by Nonapeptide; 23rd June 2008, 22:58. Reason: I'm daft.
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
          -------------------------------
          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
          Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
          Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by poly View Post
            I'm also looking for an option through GPO to change to the visual parameter to : "adjust for best performance" but we could only found scripts that are doing this...
            If you found a script you could assign it as a logon script in a GPO.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
              Have you already seen any of the suggestions in this article?

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art.../winxpgpe.html

EDIT:
              Let me see if I understand this correctly. You're saying that following the procedure in this article: http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true doesn't change the theme but only changes the appearance? So navigating to the GPO User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Control Panel/Display/Desktop Themes and enabling it doesn't change the actual theme? Even explicitly using the %windir%\resources\themes\Windows Classic.theme path in the GPO doesn't change the theme?

Weird.
              Did it all.
              and as you can see in the picture. it changes only the parameters in the appearance tab...

Really weird
              Attached Files

Comment

Nonapeptide, Poly, the GP setting is for the style sheet, not the theme. AFAIK there's no default GP template to control what theme is used.

Poly, if you found a script, why not use it as a logon script?
                Regards,
                Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                  Nonapeptide, Poly, the GP setting is for the style sheet, not the theme. AFAIK there's no default GP template to control what theme is used.

Poly, if you found a script, why not use it as a logon script?
                  Thanks,

The script is for the "adjust for best performance" method that I'm also going to implement.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, stopping Themes service (configurable via GPO) makes XP fall back to classic.

As for "Adjust for best performance", if I recall, it's a single reg value. Unless it's REG_BINARY, you can create a simple ADM to manage the setting via GPO.
                    Guy Teverovsky
                    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

I used to disable the XP theme on branch offices at my previous job because the WAN was slow and remote desktop for support was much faster on classic, plus everyone hates the XP theme..

I don't remember exactly how I had done it, but it was straightforward and required no scripts, no custom ADM, and I don't think I had to stop the theme service either.

This covers 2003 but might work on XP as well..

From http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true

In the Group Policy Object Editor, navigate to User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Control Panel/Display/Desktop Themes.

Open the Load a specific visual style file or force Windows Classic setting.
                      VCP on vSphere (4), MCITP:EA/DBA, MCTS:Blahblah

Comment

Working...
                      X