Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing to windows classic theme GPO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Changing to windows classic theme GPO

    Hi

    I've googled until smoke came out trying to figure out how to change the display properties in the theme tab to windows classic through GPO, but the only options that are being changed are in the appearance tab to windows classic style.

    I'm also looking for an option through GPO to change to the visual parameter to : "adjust for best performance" but we could only found scripts that are doing this...

    it's really annoying



    any suggestions?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by poly; 23rd June 2008, 09:00.

  • #2
    Re: Changing to windows classic theme GPO

    GPO

    navigate to:

    User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Control Panel/Display/Desktop Themes
    What do I know, I am only 26.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Changing to windows classic theme GPO

      Originally posted by GrantThomas View Post
      GPO

      navigate to:

      User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Control Panel/Display/Desktop Themes
      As I said - we did this already, instead of changing the theme to "windows classic" (in theme tab) it changes to "windows classic style" (in the appearance tab)...

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Changing to windows classic theme GPO

        Im not sure if this will work but you can test it.
        turn on the classic shell:
        User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Windows components | Windows Explorer
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

        MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

        "Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Changing to windows classic theme GPO

          Have you already seen any of the suggestions in this article?

          http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art.../winxpgpe.html

          EDIT:
          Let me see if I understand this correctly. You're saying that following the procedure in this article: http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true doesn't change the theme but only changes the appearance? So navigating to the GPO User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Control Panel/Display/Desktop Themes and enabling it doesn't change the actual theme? Even explicitly using the %windir%\resources\themes\Windows Classic.theme path in the GPO doesn't change the theme?

          Weird.
          Last edited by Nonapeptide; 23rd June 2008, 22:58. Reason: I'm daft.
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
          -------------------------------
          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
          Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
          Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Changing to windows classic theme GPO

            Originally posted by poly View Post
            I'm also looking for an option through GPO to change to the visual parameter to : "adjust for best performance" but we could only found scripts that are doing this...
            If you found a script you could assign it as a logon script in a GPO.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

            Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Changing to windows classic theme GPO

              Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
              Have you already seen any of the suggestions in this article?

              http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art.../winxpgpe.html

              EDIT:
              Let me see if I understand this correctly. You're saying that following the procedure in this article: http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true doesn't change the theme but only changes the appearance? So navigating to the GPO User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Control Panel/Display/Desktop Themes and enabling it doesn't change the actual theme? Even explicitly using the %windir%\resources\themes\Windows Classic.theme path in the GPO doesn't change the theme?

              Weird.
              Did it all.
              and as you can see in the picture. it changes only the parameters in the appearance tab...

              Really weird
              Attached Files

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Changing to windows classic theme GPO

                Nonapeptide, Poly, the GP setting is for the style sheet, not the theme. AFAIK there's no default GP template to control what theme is used.

                Poly, if you found a script, why not use it as a logon script?
                Regards,
                Jeremy

                Network Consultant/Engineer
                Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                www.gma-cpa.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Changing to windows classic theme GPO

                  Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                  Nonapeptide, Poly, the GP setting is for the style sheet, not the theme. AFAIK there's no default GP template to control what theme is used.

                  Poly, if you found a script, why not use it as a logon script?
                  Thanks,

                  The script is for the "adjust for best performance" method that I'm also going to implement.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Changing to windows classic theme GPO

                    If I'm not mistaken, stopping Themes service (configurable via GPO) makes XP fall back to classic.

                    As for "Adjust for best performance", if I recall, it's a single reg value. Unless it's REG_BINARY, you can create a simple ADM to manage the setting via GPO.
                    Guy Teverovsky
                    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Changing to windows classic theme GPO

                      I used to disable the XP theme on branch offices at my previous job because the WAN was slow and remote desktop for support was much faster on classic, plus everyone hates the XP theme..

                      I don't remember exactly how I had done it, but it was straightforward and required no scripts, no custom ADM, and I don't think I had to stop the theme service either.

                      This covers 2003 but might work on XP as well..

                      From http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true

                      1.
                      In the Group Policy Object Editor, navigate to User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Control Panel/Display/Desktop Themes.

                      2.
                      Open the Load a specific visual style file or force Windows Classic setting.
                      VCP on vSphere (4), MCITP:EA/DBA, MCTS:Blahblah

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X