Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• config.xml for deploying Office 2007

Hi,
    I just tried to do a really simple deployment of Office 2007 (for which we have the volume licence key for 50 installations) via GPO and all went very well except the install failed. The GPO was applied, and GPResult looked good, but Office 2007 didn't actually get onto the client PCs. I believe my problem was the config.xml file which I setup as follows, so can anyone help with what I've done wrong please? I copied the Office CD into the share at \\student-server\Student_Share\ITSupport\SetupCDs\Office2007 and in the code below I have obscured the licence key, which they call PIDKEY:

Code:
    <Configuration Product="ProPlus">
     <Display Level="full" CompletionNotice="no" SuppressModal="no" AcceptEula="yes" /> 
      <!-- <Logging Type="standard" Path="%temp%" Template="Microsoft Office Professional Plus Setup(*).txt" /> -->
      <PIDKEY Value="HQ3***************BYQ" /> 
      <USERNAME Value="User1" />
      <COMPANYNAME Value="Acme Inc" /> 
      <INSTALLLOCATION Value="%programfiles%\Microsoft Office" /> 
      <!-- <LIS CACHEACTION="CacheOnly" /> -->
      <!-- <SOURCELIST Value="\\student-server\Student_Share\ITSupport\SetupCDs\Office2007;\\student-server\Student_Share\ITSupport\SetupCDs\Office2007" /> -->
      <DistributionPoint Location="\\student-server\Student_Share\ITSupport\SetupCDs\Office2007" />
      <!-- <OptionState Id="OptionID" State="absent" Children="force" /> -->
      <Setting Id="Reboot" Value="IfNeeded" /> 
      <!-- <Command Path="msiexec.exe" Args="/i \\server\share\my.msi" QuietArg="/q" ChainPosition="after" Execute="install" /> -->

</Configuration>
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Re: config.xml for deploying Office 2007

Have you followed all of the instructions listed here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...chNet.10).aspx
    Technology is only as good as those who use it

My tech blog - wiredtek.wordpress.com

Comment

Yes, I did. I feel that I got the whole thing working except for the config.xml file which I'm sure has a mistake in it. Has anyone got a config.xml that they have used which they can post? Please just obscure the licence code and surround it with code tags sortof like [ code ] and [ \code ] (but without the spaces).

If someone has one that works, I can alter it to suit my paths.
      Best wishes,
      PaulH.

Comment

i am going to evaluate the config.xml further, but have you checked the logs on the clients to see if there are any errors there that may help?
        Technology is only as good as those who use it

My tech blog - wiredtek.wordpress.com

Comment

Hi wiredteknologies,

Thanks for your help. No, I didn't do that - I've left the site, as we're outsourced IT, but one thing I did notice was that when I moved a PC out of the OU which has the GPO on it (which should have installed MS Office2007), that PC suddenly, and I understand correctly, started to uninstall Office. That's because by that time we had gone round all machines and manually installed Office. So when the PC moved out of the scope of the GPO, Office was uninstalled. So that part of things worked fine.

Do you think perhaps the last line of the xml should be uncommented, and with the path to the msi file adjusted to suit my enviroment, so the line
          Code:
          <!-- <Command Path="msiexec.exe" Args="/i \\server\share\my.msi" QuietArg="/q" ChainPosition="after" Execute="install" /> -->
          should be
          Code:
           <Command Path="msiexec.exe" Args="/i \\student-server\Student_Share\ITSupport\SetupCDs\Office2007\whatever.msi" QuietArg="/q" ChainPosition="after" Execute="install" />
          Is that perhaps where I have gone wrong? The trouble with being outsourced IT is that I will not be able to get back onsite for a while so I'm unable to "try it and see" - I need to be fairly confident that I have a solution and then I can wait until I am next onsite.
          Best wishes,
          PaulH.

Comment

Remove all the <!-- and --> that comments out the lines

Comment

Working...
            X