to restrict copying of a file

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to restrict copying of a file

Is it possible to restrict the copying of a file which have read or write access. I mean the users can not be able to copy the file to their local computer.

windows 2003 domain and windows xp sp2 clients.

Thanks in advance

Re: to restrict copying of a file

Personally I would say not possible natively as read access allows copy by design.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

So you want the user to be able to read the file (i.e. open it) but not to be able to make a copy of it?

If so then no is the answer. You could use a CMS which may restrict users to viewing documents for say an intranet and not allow copies to be made but still there are ways around that too.
      Server 2000 MCP
      Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

One of my friend said about WRM(windows Right Management Service) is it possible to do this with WRM?

thanks for the reply.

Comment

Originally posted by pratheesh View Post
          Is it possible to restrict the copying of a file which have read or write access. I mean the users can not be able to copy the file to their local computer.

windows 2003 domain and windows xp sp2 clients.

Thanks in advance
          one solution to this is a lot off work, i worked for an company which had the same problem, user's must be able to read an edit files but where not allowed to copy the files locally.

They had setup an entire secure domain for this purpose, the user's would connect to this domain through an VPN client allowing them an remote desktop session on an server, this session dit not allow copying from and to the local machine.

This doesn't have to be this extensive, but you could setup an desktop which user's could logon via remote desktop, and by disableing all extra feature's off remote desktop, you could secure the file that only that remote machine has read right's to the file, so even if they would try to get to the file from their own machine acces would be denied as their machine's do not have the proper acces right.

Comment

Put all the protected files into a folder.

Prevent unautorised users from accessing this folder but DO NOT inherit it to child objects. This means that users can not open this folder but if linked directly to a file in it can open it. This makes it difficult to directly copy and paste that file.

This files down however if your opening say a word document where you can just open it and then select Save As or something to that effect. It all depends on what the file is and what it opens with etc.

Concerning WRM this is built into Office for things such as Word but i believe off tha top of my head that it requires certificates which could be expensive or difficult to implement and beyond that i am not sure what level of protection this gives you. I believe (i may be wrong here) that this is aimed at it only being able to be opened when this certificate is available in the local machines certificate store. So they may be able to copy it but not open elsewhere say at home unless they figured out a way to copy the certificates as well

Danny
            Last edited by danny_kay1710; 6th June 2008, 16:28. Reason: Missed a point concerning WRM

Comment

Working...
            X