Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Application are getting uninstalled

Hi,

Since last year, I was distributing applications through GPOs. During the first two months of this year, I have switched to one good software distribution product which is working pretty well!. So, I went ahead and removed all applications from GPO with leave existing installations option.

I migrated most of the clients to my new software distribution product, but few laptops were pending because they rarely connect to office network.

The problem here is, when a laptop (which is connected to my network after long time) booting from office network, I observed that applications which I pushed through GPO are getting uninstalled though I have set the option to "Not to uninstall" while removing packaging registration from GPO.

This is causing a big problem for me and user are loosing their application specific settings.

Can some one tell me in what situations this happens and remedy if you know any?

Thanks,
    Sitaram

Re: Application are getting uninstalled

"I have set the option to "Not to uninstall" while removing packaging registration from GPO. "

This change had to be picked up by the client computers before you removed the software from GPO.

If you have a client that it's last known state of GPO is "uninstall when falls out of the scope", the client will uninstall the software.

Looks like you did not wait enough after configuring "not to uninstall" and before removing the software and those laptops never received that setting.
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Thanks for the reply Teverovsky.

>This change had to be picked up by the client computers before you removed
      >the software from GPO.

I wondering when client machines will pick this change? At the time of booting or during background policy refresh?

I felt like, the option "Leave the applications installed" option while removing package will handle any kind of cases? Can direct me to any link which can give more details?

Thanks,
      Sitaram

Comment

Clients will pick up this change when they boot up, yes. Not sure if a GPO refreshes automatically in the background but you can force a client to refresh it's GPO settings by typing 'gpupdate' at the command line.

Comment

Working...
        X