Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Desktop redirection enabled; now a certain app cant run w/o being local/domain admin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desktop redirection enabled; now a certain app cant run w/o being local/domain admin

Here is the story...

I have an app which my users have been using successfully for many months. These are all just regular 'Domain Users' and they have no extra priveleges.

Yesterday I finally enabled a GPO to redirect the Desktop to a read-only share. This was the only major change I made to AD or GP yesterday.

Today, this app cannot be run as a Domain User. If I rightclick "Run As" a local or domain admin, it works perfect.

It seems to only be this one app. You launch it and it shows a splash screen, and then it looks like windows ends the process (the process pops up in task manager for a couple seconds), and it never opens.

I ran a test to see if this was really GPO causing this. I made a new OU at the top level of my AD and made a test user. This OU had zero GPO's on it. When I logged in, this user can run the app as a Domain User.

Are there any other tests I can run? What has gone wrong here?

I will update my post as I run more tests or get more info...
    A+ Network+

Re: Desktop redirection enabled; now a certain app cant run w/o being local/domain ad

After more tests, I am now 100% positive that the desktop folder redirection GPO I enabled was the cause.

I made another test user which had every regular GPO on it except for the new desktop redirection GPO. The app ran perfectly.

I still want to enable this GPO though...so I need to figure out why the process of the app ends itself...please comment if you have any ideas.
    A+ Network+

Comment

Re: Desktop redirection enabled; now a certain app cant run w/o being local/domain ad

You need to enable execution rights as well on the redirection location.
      Technology is only as good as those who use it

My tech blog - wiredtek.wordpress.com

Comment

I solved this problem. The app actually needed access to the folders I was redirecting. Looks like the better solution will be to redirect the desktop folder to a new share which users will be able to write to.
        A+ Network+

Comment

Working...
        X