Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denying shift+Del Keys

Friends,

I have configured a GPO In win 2003 and its working well. I need to know is there any way that i can deny users using

1) shift+Del keys
    2)The users recycle bin has to be saved in the win2003 server.

Is there anyway of restricting using GPO or anyother method.

Thanks

Re: Denying shift+Del Keys

So they can't type in capitals and cannot make changes?

or do you mean Shift+Del together?

either way, I don't think thats possible

Also, AFAIK, the location of the recycle bin is always locally and I do not think it can be redirected to a server. Think of the LAN traffic, also what would happen with laptop users?

Can I ask why you want to do this as that will help me better understand the problem
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the response.

I mean shif+Del Key both at a time. bcoz users may delete files using that way.I jst want to restrict users not to delete anything and i want to know wat are the files they are deleting, after i gone thru the files i hav to delete that files.

Comment

Hiya,

Originally posted by bikebefast View Post
        Thanks for the response.

I mean shif+Del Key both at a time. bcoz users may delete files using that way.I jst want to restrict users not to delete anything and i want to know wat are the files they are deleting, after i gone thru the files i hav to delete that files.
        If these files are on a server can't you just set the rights on the files on the server to stop deletion?

If you wish to stop users deleting files on their local machines you may wish to consider setting local NTFS rights via GPO.

Tbh I'm not so sure if what you want to do is a good idea. The way you had in mind would add to administrative effort (be lazy ) and the way I've linked to will add to administrative effort if configure it so that you have to delete files for your users. o.0
        I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
        Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

WinK3 server, enable Shadow Copy. If they delete it, it can be recovered.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks Mayebe & biggles.Setting local NTFS rights is a good idea, can u guide me in that?

Comment

Hi again,
              Generally I'd say it is a bad idea but I don't know how you particular situation. I'd advise against it myself as it may increase your workload and users do consider PCs theirs to a certain extent, you may lose some goodwill with them.
              If they are deleting things you need them not to and you can't locate the files elsewhere.....

If you follow the link above to http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window...be5251033.mspx it will take you through it.

Might I be so bold as to ask the nature of these files and why users are deleting them?

If you can move the files to a server and follow Biggles77's advice it would mean less work for you in the long run.
              I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
              Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

Working...
              X