Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista Rollout with Server 2003

Greetings fellow nerds!

Im an old NT4.0 guy and have now been thrust into the Sever 2003/Vista world with a new job at the college I also teach at. I have been out of the network environment for 4 years now and am quite rusty.

We have several unique situations we have been unable to solve...
    1. Printer install via GPO or script?

We are trying to give our new deployment of vista student pcs access to a printer in the domain, without installing individually. Several posts on other sites say I will not be able to do it with a script, but I must use a new tool from Microsoft? I cant remember name of tool. Has anyone here done this yet? If so, how?

2. VM lockdown through GPO and mapped drive to network directory containing student data files.

We have deployed 20 VMs with XP Pro and several specialty apps for students to access remotely using RDC. We need to lockdown these VMs so that students cannot save to the VM desktop or HDD. We do still need to give the students access to their Home/client HDD and USB Flash drives any thoughts or suggestions?

We also need to give these VM users access to the student data files via a mapped network drive or folder on the desktop, but we have been unsuccessful.
    Last edited by IT_GUY; 9th February 2008, 23:42.

Re: Vista Rollout with Server 2003

Originally posted by IT_GUY View Post
    1. Printer install via GPO or script?

We are trying to give our new deployment of vista student pcs access to a printer in the domain, without installing individually. Several posts on other sites say I will not be able to do it with a script, but I must use a new tool from Microsoft? I cant remember name of tool. Has anyone here done this yet? If so, how?
    You mensioned a 'tool', could it have been a mmc snap-in:
    Print Management console - that is part of the Windows Server 2003-R2 platform.
    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...#_Toc120535274
    - (?) -

Map printers for Vista clients
    Deploying printer connections by GPO;
    'Point & Print' is a Windows feature that enables users to connect to a shared printer without the need to manually install the necessary printer driver software.
    New configuration settings were added to the Point & Print Restrictions group policy in Windows Vista.
    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...istaPnPSec.doc

Keep using your winXP logon script to map printers;
    Not tried this yet,
    You could try to Disable the following policy setting on the vista machine (gpedit.msc):
    User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Printers\Point and Print Restrictions .
    OR, configure the policy,
    (this will provide a client computer with the same level of Point and Print security on Windows Vista as it had with Windows XP)
    - Point and Print Restrictions: Enabled.
    - When installing drivers for a new connection: Do not show warning or elevation prompt.
    - When updating drivers for an existing connection: Do not show warning or elevation prompt.
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
    and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Working...
    X