X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying Group Pollicies

Hi guys,

I got a problem.

I have a Windows 2000 server network,Windows XP/SP2 clients,and I set up organisational units and user accounts within the the OUs.I work in a college,and I created an organisational unit called ICT Students.Right-clicking on the OU,I selected Properties>Group Policy.I added a new policy called Policy1,and edited it to set up the rules.

Now,I want to hide local C: drives in the client machines.On the Policy1 snap-in,I selected User Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Windows Explorer.Then I enabled the "Hide these specified drives in My Computer" command and selected C: drives.

A few hours later I logged in with a user account I use foe testing in the OU and I could still see the local C: drives.I thought the GPO has not been applied yet,so I reduced the GPO refresh interval to 10minutes or so,waited 30 minutes and checked in again,and I could still access the local drives.

Is there anything I'm missing,guys?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gio.
    Last edited by Giodino; 6th February 2008, 13:25.

Re: Applying Group Pollicies

Run rsop.msc to ensure that the GPO is getting applied.

Also make sure that the users are in the right OU and would suggest you to check if the settings have been saved in GPO.

Regards,
    Kapil Sharma
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

Originally posted by kapilsharma11 View Post
      Run rsop.msc to ensure that the GPO is getting applied.

Also make sure that the users are in the right OU and would suggest you to check if the settings have been saved in GPO.

Regards,
      Thanks for the reply.

I tried to run the command,but recieved an error message.It says "Cannot find the file 'rsop.msc' (or one of its components).Make sure the path and file name are correct and that all required libraries are available."

The changes I made to GPO are saved,because I opened and closed the GPO a few times and restarted the server once or twice,and the changes are still reflected.

Comment

Anyone please??

Comment

rsop.msc will not run on 2k machines it only runs on XP or 2k3 machines.

So on win 2k machines you need to run gpresult to get the same........

Regards,
          Kapil Sharma
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

rsop.msc will not run on 2k machines it only runs on XP or 2k3 machines.

So on win 2k machines you need to run gpresult to get the same........

Regards,
            I ran the gpresult command,waited for a while then logged on with my test account,and C: drive still appeared.While logged on with my test account,I then ran the rsop command from the XP client machine,a snap-in appeared and I could see no group policy at all.It's as though the GPO doesn't exist at all,or it exists but can't get applied.There no sign of it.

I poked around the internet for this,and I saw somewhere that I probably need to install the Group Policy Management Console,or something like that,which can be downloaded from Microsoft website,but this was to be done on Windows Server 2003.

Don't I need something similar for Windows 2000 server?

Comment

rsop.msc and gpresult.exe are just the dignostic tools and they are used to just see if the policies are getting applied or not.......They will not fix the issue.

NOw GPMC.msc is just a management console and can be used create, modify and see the modeling wizard on any container.

So just install it on the server nothing to do with client............

Regards,
              Kapil Sharma
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

rsop.msc and gpresult.exe are just the dignostic tools and they are used to just see if the policies are getting applied or not.......They will not fix the issue.

NOw GPMC.msc is just a management console and can be used create, modify and see the modeling wizard on any container.

So just install it on the server nothing to do with client............

Regards,
                So,how exactly would you go about this thing?

I mean,I created an OU,and user accounts on it,then set up the GPO for it.I tested,but alas,nothing works.I reduce GPO refresh intervals,thinking may be it takes too long for the GPO to get applied,and no,it's still a dead end.

There's something I'm missing here,guys,I just don't know what it is.

Thanks for the input,buddy.

Comment

1. As i have understood is:

1. You created an OU called "Test"

2. You created a user called "User1" in "Test" OU.

3. You applied the below said policy on "Test" OU.

4. You logged in with user "User1" remember not any other user because the policy will apply to this user only.

5. Now if still this user is getting the "c:" drive that means somehow this policy is not getting applied. There might be several reasons:

a. Might be some other policy is overriding this policy.
                  b. Any filtering is applied on this policy and many more.......

So first we need to narrow down it.......Follow the below procees:

1. log in on any XP machine.......and run rsop.msc
                  2. It will show us that if which policy is pushing this specific policy.

Rsop shows all the settings getting applied to that user and which policy is the winnning policy.

So just check if that policy is getting applied or not. Then we will go ahead.

Regards,
                  Kapil Sharma
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Alright.

I ran the rsop.msc command from an XP machine,and I recieved a couple of error messages.

The first one was, "RSoP data is invalid.Likely causes are,data is corrupt,data has been deleted,or data has never been created."

I clicked "Close" on the dialogue box and there was further processing and..

The second error message was, "There are other Resultant Set od Policy applications running already with the information you requested.If you proceed, without exiting these Resultant Set of Policy applications, it may behave incorrectly.OK to proceed?"

I clicked OK,further processing followed then the result came.It was a snap-in with the account name,and it had a red "X" on it.I right-clicked on it then selected Properties,and a Computer Properties Configuration dialogue box occured,and there was nothing under the Group Policy Object field.

I also modified the Properties of my GPO,by enabling the No Overried option.

Comment

I forgot to add something.

On the RSoP snap-in,on the Computer Configuration Properties dialogue,there was also the Error Information tab that had a message that said,

"Friday, February 08, 2008 12:59:57 PM

Group Policy Infrastructure failed due to the error listed below.
                      A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host.

Note: Due to the GP Core failure, none of the other Group Policy components processed their policy. Consequently, status information for the other components is not available...."

I also blocked inheritance on the GPO Properties.

Comment

It seems that your PDC emulater is not reachable.........

1. Open dsa.msc

2. Right click your domain and click "Operation Master".

3. Check PDC Emulator if it shows "Error" in current operation master.

Regards,
                        Kapil Sharma
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

It seems that your PDC emulater is not reachable.........

1. Open dsa.msc

2. Right click your domain and click "Operation Master".

3. Check PDC Emulator if it shows "Error" in current operation master.

Regards,
                          There's no error in the PDC Emulator,buddy.It shows that my server is the PDC.

Comment

It's a dead end,isn't it?

Well let me ask something else; Can GPO's be applied when there's no DNS server on the network?

Comment

There is never a dead end in Technical Things. The only thing is we need to give it a right approch.

DNS should always be there if we are using a domain env.. although sometime it might work without DNS but in most of the case it will not.

Just run "gpupdate /force" if it's XP or 2k3 box.

or run "secedit /refreshpolicy machine_policy /enforce" and "secedit /refreshpolicy user_policy /enforce" if it's win 2k machine.

And see what errors are logged in event viewer on the same machine and share the same with us.

Regards,
                              Kapil Sharma
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X