unable to remove Group Policy from win XP after GPO has been deleted

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unable to remove Group Policy from win XP after GPO has been deleted

There was a GPO created to redirect users "MY Documents" folder to server based location.

We were having trouble with one of our applications and needed to disable the GPO.Unfortunately instead of disabling the GPO, we have deleted the GPO and now we dont know how to get everyone's "My Documents" folders back to its original state i.e back to its normal location on the individual's computer.

Your advise would be greatly appreciated.

Re: unable to remove Group Policy from win XP after GPO has been deleted

You could try creating a new GPO that redirects the folders back to the same location and set the option to redirect the folder back to the local userprofile location upon policy removal. Then after users have logged on and gotten their redirected folders, set the GPO setting to not configured and see if the folders move back to the local machine. If that doesn't wotk then you'll probably have to move them manually.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      You could try creating a new GPO that redirects the folders back to the same location and set the option to redirect the folder back to the local userprofile location upon policy removal. Then after users have logged on and gotten their redirected folders, set the GPO setting to not configured and see if the folders move back to the local machine. If that doesn't wotk then you'll probably have to move them manually.
      Thanks Champ, would you have nay tips on how to "manually" remove the policy from the local computers? (It is a relatively small environment of about 15 computers, so it wouldnt be the worst thing if it had to be removed manually)

Comment

Use "Local Computer Policy" -- it is the same thing as group policy but only affects the PC it is on. it is also beaten by any contradictory GPOs

There is an option when redirecting "My Docs" to move things back to their original location once the policy is removed (technically the user / computer is no longer under the scope of the policy). This is a bit late now but useful to remember for the future.

Tom
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X