No announcement yet.

Following GPO update server loses some connectivity

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Following GPO update server loses some connectivity

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping I've posted this in the right forum, but it's so weird and confusing that I don't really have a clue as to what might be causing it or how I can resolve. But still, onto the problem.

I am running a domain that has 4 domain controllers, 3 of them Server 2003, and one NT4 SP6. One of the domain controllers is also an Exchange 2003 Server and it's this one that's causing me the problem, but I'm not sure if it's anything to do with the fact that it has Exchange on it as well.

Whenever I carry out an update to the default domain policy (and I mean in any way) the DC / Exchange server stops being able to replicate with the other DCs, and all my client machines can not connect to the Exchange server for E-mail (via Outlook).

There is still network connectivity to the problematic server, I can ping it, and even connect to it using RDP, but for some reason the connectivity in Outlook fails and the server itself can not connect to the other DCs. If you open AD Users and Computers on another of the DCs (or any other machine with the AD MMC on it), right-click on on the domain and select 'Connect to Domain Controller' you can see the problem server in the list but it fails when it tries to connect. It is the same if you are on the DC/Exchange server and try to carry out this task to connect to any of the other 3 DCs. This is the only server that displays any problems and it only happens when I make a change to the Default Group Policy, and this is regardless of how small / large the change is. Strangely enough if I run Outlook client on the server itself it connects with no problems and I can send/receive mails so it's not like Exchange Server itself has broken, and this also wouldn't explain the replication failures.

After restarting the problematic server everything works OK again.

In a way this is good, as it means it's not down for ages, but it means that if I ever want to make a group policy change I have to factor in 20 minutes of downtime for E-mail as this is the only mail server for the organisation.

Apologies if this is a bit wordy, but I hope someone out there might know how I can resolve this. I've had a big hunt around on MS Knowledge Base and all the usual places but haven't been able to find anything like it.

Re: Following GPO update server loses some connectivity

Just wanted to know few things:

1. Service Pack level of DCs.
    2. Is it the only domain or it's multi-domain arch?
    3. how many GCs among these three DCs.
    3. Any specific error in event viewer during the issue?

It will help to analyze...

Kapil Sharma
    Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Re: Following GPO update server loses some connectivity

In addition to point 3 in the above post, check to see if any of the Services are stopped when you apply the update. Rebooting the server will start any Services that may have been stopped by the update and the Event Viewer should show which one stopped. If is shows nothing, take a note of the Services running before an update and those running after an update.
      Departed: 23rd December 2015