Prevent users from using USB removable disks via GPO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prevent users from using USB removable disks via GPO

I had a question regarding the article on Petri titled "How can I prevent users from using USB removable disks (USB flash drives) by using Group Policy (GPO)?". Do I need to modify the settings for usbstor.inf on each workstation or on the server? Also which usbstor.sys file should I modilfy- I found several in Windows XP. Any help would be appreciated.

My DC is running Windows Small Business Server 2003 SP2 and all clients except one are XP Pro SP2. I have one Vista pc.

Re: Prevent users from using USB removable disks via GPO

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=18516
    MCSA 2000/2003

Comment

Thanks for the post. However it doesn't answer my question. I just need to know wether I need to modify the "system" permission on all the pc's before I implement the group policy on the server. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by terrontech View Post
        Thanks for the post. However it doesn't answer my question. I just need to know wether I need to modify the "system" permission on all the pc's before I implement the group policy on the server. Thanks in advance.
        According to that article, yes.
        This can actually be done via GPOs, thankfully. Browse to Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> File System. Right click to add a file and then browse to the file(s) you wish to change (you will have to select each individually) and remove the system user.

As for your question on usbstor.sys, the one in system32\drivers\ is the one you want. From what I understand of it files in dllcache are used to replace other windows files if they become corrupted or are deleted somehow. If you have others elsewhere I'm afraid I don't know. :/
        I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
        Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

If you are using Windows XP Service Pack 2, this is a setting specifically for this.

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/tune-28.html

It disables the write on storage devices rather then disabling the whole layer. Very usefull. I myself developed a self solution with ACL.

Comment

Working...
          X