Logging out users after 15 min via GPO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logging out users after 15 min via GPO

Right now we have all the computers set to lock the computer every 15 min if no one is doing any thing on them. Is it possible to change that lock setting to "Log Out" instead? So basically after 15 min of inactivity computer completely logs out instead of locking the PC.

We have XP pro SP2 workstations and Windows 2003 Standard Server.

Re: Logging out users after 15 min via GPO

You could run a batch file after 15 minutes I guess... use the SHUTDOWN command in the batch file to initiate the logoff. Don't forget that any unsaved work will be lost.

Just out of interest... why?

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
      You could run a batch file after 15 minutes I guess... use the SHUTDOWN command in the batch file to initiate the logoff. Don't forget that any unsaved work will be lost.

Just out of interest... why?
      Ah some users are being a pain they forget to log out after they are done and then when the next user tries to log in can't log in because only the person who locked the PC can unlock the PC or admin. I can not give every one Admin rights and now it is becoming a huge issue.

I did find this web site:

http://blog.case.edu/djc6/2005/03/09..._log_off_users

It mentions about Winexit.scr now it seems to work ok but I can't seem to install the *.adm template he has there. I try to add it and it shows up but when I go under "user configuration --> Administrative Templates" it is not there.

Any ideas?

Comment

Sorry ADM templates are not my favourite thing so I don't know. However it sounds to me like a user education issue - plus as I said if you start logging people out willy-nilly they are going to lose huge amounts of business data as a direct result. You have to think about your business here; and I would suggest that a "strong-arm" approach to people who have failed to log off, and configuring the "Logon Hours" of user objects to force log off at, say, ten PM, would be FAR better than every fifteen minutes.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Hi,

First you need to import the .adm file in admin templates.

Once you have imported the same then right click on the catagory (e.g. Desktop, Start menu or Windows Explorer) then click on filtering in view (remeber view will come only after you expand that catagory) and uncheck the box at the bottem i.e. "Only show settings that can be fully managed"

Hope it will work...........
          Kapil Sharma
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

Working...
          X