GPO sync issues.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPO sync issues.

I renamed our file server after moving a DB off of it last week. Ever since then I have had the hardest time getting rid of our old file server.
    Here's what is happening.

I renamed the file server to "fileservold". I went in and remapped my GPO for file redirection to the new server name. Also I have an OU for all of the laptops and one for all desktops. On the laptop OU I have a GPO setup to allow offline files and to sync them upon logoff. The folder redirection is working great, but on the laptops the sync manager still shows the person logged into the laptop as working offline. Upon inspection of the server status within Windows XP Synch manager I still see the name of the server before the rename and the box is checked to connect.

For testing purposes I created a test OU and dropped a laptop that's having the issue in it and waited for replication and rebooted it in hopes of it being a GPO I created. No luck after an hour or so there.

Any ideas on how to get rid of the old server name looming around in my config? I just want it to disappear and all my laptops to start syncing with the new server name they are being redirected to?

Does that make sense?

Thanks!

Re: GPO sync issues.

Hi,

Have you tried creating a new user? If it works, you could try deleting the users profiles.

Comment

It's been awhile since I've worked with Offline files but have you tried reconfiguring the Synchronization settings on the laptops to remove the old server and add the new? Have you tried resetting the Offline files cache on the laptops? You can google it to find the exact steps.

Comment

The problem with deleting the cache is that there are some folks with documents looming around in the cache that they need.

If I could get the docs out of the cache and into the newly renamed file server I'd be cool with that. Below is a picture that illustrates what I am talking about.

The sync manager shows the laptop connecting to agenasql which is the old file server name. The new file server that My Documents redirects to is agenaold. I would just like to get the files out of cache and over to the new location and then have the "server not available" message to go away.

Any ideas?

Comment

I'm not sure if this will work but what if you set the My Documents target back to the default, which will move the files back to the local machine. Then you can reset the cache and set up the new offline settings.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
            I'm not sure if this will work but what if you set the My Documents target back to the default, which will move the files back to the local machine. Then you can reset the cache and set up the new offline settings.

I needed to update this. I brought a box up with the old name and folder location and synchronized back up to it and the reset the cache like you suggested.

That silly connection in sync manager still wants to point to the old server. In a perfect world I would be able to get rid of the old file server from appearing.

At least now I have the documents that were in the cache wanting to sync with the old server.

Comment

Working...
            X