Trying to install ISA Client to domain users via GPO with no success

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to install ISA Client to domain users via GPO with no success

I have the ISA Client 2004 on a public share. I've created a GPO which is set to install the client on all domain workstations on OU "Test".

I've found that if the user is not a local admin of his workstation, the installation will silently fail. If I make the user a local admin the install proceeds OK.

Is it possible to install an MSI using a GPO with elevated priviledges without using 3rd party apps?

Also, once I get the above to work, is there a way to configure the client to point to a defined ISA Server?

We have two ISA Servers in two sites and I want to make sure all the users in a site point to their local ISA Server.

Note: The reason I want to use a GPO is because the facility is there. If I use a script, then I would have to encode the installation so users do not see the RunAs credentials.
    Last edited by JDMils; 4th October 2007, 08:12.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Trying to install ISA Client to domain users via GPO with no success

Originally posted by JDMils View Post
    Also, once I get the above to work, is there a way to configure the client to point to a defined ISA Server?

We have two ISA Servers in two sites and I want to make sure all the users in a site point to their local ISA Server.

Note: The reason I want to use a GPO is because the facility is there. If I use a script, then I would have to encode the installation so users do not see the RunAs credentials.
    Are you using Sites? If so yes, modify/create a GPO linked to the site. You'll want to take a look at User Configuration -> Windows settings -> Internet Explorer -> Connection -> Proxy settings.

As for your first problem, I don't think it should work that way.
    I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
    Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

As for my problem re not being able to install the ISA Firewall client via a GPO without giving the users local admin rights, is there a way to run the install using different credentials without the user being able to see the credentials?
      |
      +-- JDMils
      |
      +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
      |

Comment

Don't mention it.

The problem you speak of would suggest it is applied to the users but you did say you applied it to the computers. Have you looked at Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server 2004 Microsoft Firewall Client program on client computers by using a command-line or by using Group Policy?
        I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
        Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

Working...
        X