Can't get Group Policies to be enforced on client PC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get Group Policies to be enforced on client PC

I am relatively new to Server 2003 and and trying to teach myself active directory and group policy. I have 2 pc's set up:

The server is running windows server 2003 and is setup as a domain controller.
    The client pc is running WinXP pro sp2 and is a member of the domain.

I created a user account in a new OU I made, and linked a new GPO to it. The only group policy change I made was to remove add/remove programs from the control panel.
    When I log into the server machine with the new user account I made, the group policy works fine and add/remove programs is gone.
    When I log into the client PC as the same user onto the domain (I'm not logging into "this computer"), add remove programs is there. The group policy is not working at all it seems.

I have the two pc's networked by a linksys wireless/4 port router. I'm wondering if there could be a firewall issue blocking the GP from being applied to the client PC? Or is there something I am missing that I need to set up on the client or server? Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Can't get Group Policies to be enforced on client PC

On the client, run GPResult in a command box. It will detail what happened to your GPO on that machine.

Note, if you suspect the firewall as being a possible problem, move the machine (if possible) onto the same subnet as the server.

To make sure the GPO is applied to the client computer immediately after making any changes, run "GpUpdate /Force" from a command box.

Check your DNS as well. Your client computer should have its default gateway pointing to the router and DNS set to the server, which I am assuming is running the DNS server!?
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Comment

Wow. I can't believe I've been working on this for over a week and all i needed to do was set the DNS on the client to point the to server. Its working great now. Thanks a ton!!

Comment

Great to hear. You can also show your appreciation by giving Reputation Points
        |
        +-- JDMils
        |
        +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
        |

Comment

Working...
        X