Controlling the order of software installation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controlling the order of software installation

I'm trying to upgrade from Office 2000 to Office 2003, and I'm using the software installation element of group policy. That part works fine, however we use another program called Workshare, which no longer works on PC's after I upgrade to Office 2003. The answer to this, is to reinstall Workshare after installing Office 2003.

Trouble is, in the list of all the software that is installed under this particular group policy, there doesn't seem to be a way of controlling which order the applications get installed in. I need Workshare to install after Office 2003.

Anyone any ideas?

Re: Controlling the order of software installation

A solution might be to uninstall and re-install Workshare every log on! But maybe that isn't what we want.

Would multiple GPOs be acceptable? Using WMI filters?

First GPO = Use WMI filters, apply gpo if office 2000 installed then uninstall Workshare and Office 2000
    Second GPO = Use WMI filters, apply GPO if none of Office or Workshare are installed Then install Office 2003
    Third GPO = Using WMI filters, apply gpo if Office 2003 installed and Workshare isn't then install Workshare

Think that should do it.

Further reading on WMI.
    I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
    Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

Re: Controlling the order of software installation

I went with your multiple GPO's suggestion, and that did the trick

Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X