Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPO Not in Effect

MyCafe.com (DOMAIN)

-- SRVR1 - Windows 2003 Server (Main DC)

-- SRVR2 - Windows 2003 Server (2nd/Backup DC)
    - MS-SQL Server 2000

-- PC1 - Windows 2000 Professional
    -- PC2 - Windows 2000 Professional
    -- PC3 - Windows 2000 Professional

AD Structure
    MyCafe.com
    -- HeadQuarter (OU)
    ------ PC (OU)
    ---------- SRVR1
    ---------- SRVR2
    ------ Users (OU)
    ---------- me
    ---------- mybro
    -- Others (OU)
    ------ PC (OU)
    -------- PC1
    -------- PC2
    -------- PC3
    ------ Users (OU)
    -------- user1
    -------- user2
    -------- user3

The IDEA
    I have 2 Admins - Me and My Brother. They will be Domain Admins. They have all the privileges no matter where they login.!!

Then We have 3 PC's that all people can use.. they have these Users - user1, 2 and 3. Now the Conditions:

> 3 Users can login on to ONLY on those 3 PCs running Windows 2000 Pro.
    > I want to implement GP's as and wherever they LOGIN.
    > They have limited Access / Functionality
    > I want to remotely deploy / update software using GPO, etc. (At a later stage)

GPO
    HeadQuarters - contain PC's and Users for the Server / Domain Admins.

Others - Contains PC's and Users for the Rest of the PC's, i.e. user1,2,3.

Now When I assign "Others" a GPO, named Restricted.

I'm changing USER CONFIGURATION settings of the GPO and not the COMPUTER CONFIGURATION. I have changed the settings in the USER Configuration - for Internet Explorer Maintenance where I Changed the Title of the Internet Explorer to My Cafe.

Code:
    Now When I try to log-on I don't see any changes reflected, I have tried lot's of other Settings like changing the wallpaper ,etc. but it doesn't seem that the policies are being implemented.
    • I tried to apply the policies to the "Others -> Users" OU, but still there's no effect. Please if anyone could help me out.
    • Then I tried Blocking Inheritence for the "Others" OU .. NO LUCK
    • Then I created a group called "otherusers". Then I tried setting GPO for "otherusers" ... NO LUCK (I read about it on Technet and came to know that GPO doesn't apply to Groups.. )
    • I tried "gpupdate" .. NO LUCK
    • I tried "RSoP.msc" .. but it gives error "Only for Windows 2003 Clients and above"

Anyways
    Thank you .. Thank you for keeping so patience in reading this.
    Last edited by bgagan911; 29th August 2007, 20:43. Reason: Information mistake

Re: GPO Not in Effect

Just 1 more information ... I need to ask actually..!!

Whenever I update the policy / make changes to it.. I make sure I wait for few minutes... Try Logging IN and OUT , and if needed RESTART the PC .. But nothing works

I'm also doing gpupdate on the DC, the 1st one.. While going through one of the threads, I came to know that we need to do gpupdate on the clients ?

If true HOW Can I do that ?? I mean How to run gpupdate on windows 2000 Clients ? Won't the restart / logg-off effect the system / refresh the policies ?

Comment

first off, if you are using GPMC you can use the RSOP tool builtin to GPMC (you can specify the target machine and user you want to check for) i would make sure that this fans out correctly.

also on the 2000 clients from the command line you could also use the gpresult utility, here is a link to the KB
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321709

you may also check the system event log to see if there are any errors logged.

and lastly you may want to check the userenv log:
      http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true
      Technology is only as good as those who use it

My tech blog - wiredtek.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by bgagan911 View Post

Code:
        Now When I try to log-on I don't see any changes reflected, I have tried lot's of other Settings like changing the wallpaper ,etc. but it doesn't seem that the policies are being implemented.
        Hi, sorry if this is me just reading it all badly but the "I" above you are logging in as is a member of the HQ-Users OU? Which hasn't the policy applied to it?
        My apologies if it is my reading letting me down.
        I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
        Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

No ... I'm sorry of not pointing it... I'm actually logging using user1/2/3 accounts...!! So it's not the HQ-Users, it's the "Others-users" Just like to mention, I updated Windows 2003 using the AutoPatcher, could that had effected something internally ??

Today I tried, updating the Policies and doing more modification, like Disabling the IE Icon on the Desktop, and more.. I also used from Windows 2000 PRO Machine...

* secedit /refreshpolicy machine_policy
          * secedit /refreshpolicy user_policy
          * secedit /refreshpolicy machine_policy /enforce
          * secedit /refreshpolicy user_policy /enforce

I'll try to Un-Install the Autopatcher updates on the server. Let's see if it works or not.. Anyways thanks for replying buddy..!!

Originally posted by Maebe View Post
          Hi, sorry if this is me just reading it all badly but the "I" above you are logging in as is a member of the HQ-Users OU? Which hasn't the policy applied to it?
          My apologies if it is my reading letting me down.
          Last edited by bgagan911; 30th August 2007, 14:10.

Comment

Well I demoted / removed the AD Role of the Server... and then Re-Added the same domain again.. and it worked.. What could be the reason ?? Anyone What if it happens again ??

Comment

If you run into the same problems again I'd look at following Wiredteknologies's advice above. This should at least tie the problem down some for you.
              I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
              Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

Working...
              X