Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help creating a GPO that will disable creating a share via the registry (W2k3)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help creating a GPO that will disable creating a share via the registry (W2k3)

All,
    I am attempting to create a GPO that sets some flag (if possible) in the registy of a Windows 2003 server that disables the ability for anyone logged onto the server to create a share. I have even gone as far as set the permissions on LANMANSERVER\SHARES to Everyone Full DENY and still I can create a share. Strange, because when I do this the share is created, but nothing shows up in the registry at all with the share name. The reason that I want to do this is because I want to create a GPO at a high level OU that stops all servers from being able to have shares created on them; then, at a lower level OU I would create a reverse GPO that would allow shares. Inside this OU I would place my file servers. All help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jobie.

Re: Help creating a GPO that will disable creating a share via the registry (W2k3)

hello,

who can create shares...
    everyone....?
    just someusers?

you can restrict acces by ntfs rights or in the following part of gpo

computer configuration \ windows settings \ security settings \ local policies \ user rights assigment ==> a lot of config

another thing i already see is
    user configuration \ administrative templates \ system and Prevent access to registry editing tools

hope than can help you

Mig

Comment

Re: Help creating a GPO that will disable creating a share via the registry (W2k3)

How about "restricted programs" applied to REGEDIT and REGEDT32 ?
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
      X