Diffrent way to apply Group Policy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diffrent way to apply Group Policy

I want to apply certain group policy which has it's configurations in the "User Configurations" What I mean is that those settings are in "User configurations" and not "Computer Configurations"

I want the group policy to affect with following conditions:

1) This should affect only certain users. Not all users in the AD. All this users will exist in a certain OU. They are all also a member of certain "Security Group"

2) This should affect only when the above mentione users logs on to certain servers. All these servers exists on a certain OU.

I would like to know what are the different ways to accomplish this. I want to also know what is the best practice?

I also want to know how would it matter of the group policy settings were in "Computer Configurations" and not "User Configurations"

Thanks in adavce.

Re: Diffrent way to apply Group Policy

Hello,

You should place you group policy on the OU containing the servers, and filter this group policy to be applied on those servers only.
    Enabling loopback processing will not apply the user group settings, be aware of this.
    Last edited by sanvour; 10th August 2007, 06:53.
    Best regards,
    Mostafa Itani

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Why don't u keep the policy user specific. That yield better performance on that server.

Comment

Your GPO is linked to the OU containing the users (because you want to apply a typical user configuration)
        But the GPO must only apply to the users when they logged on to a particular computer.
        Therefore view the properties of the linked GPO, goto tab "Scope"
        There you have two ways of filtering;

- Using the "Security Filter" you have the option to include only particular users or groups containing users (since this GPO is about the user configuration).

- And, you can use the "WMI filter" to set a condition based on attributes of the target computer: http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true .

examples of WMI-filters:

Apply the GPO to the users only when they logon to one of these 3 servers
        Root\CimV2;
        Select * From Win32_OperatingSystem Where CSName = "ServerNameA" OR CSName = "ServerNameB" OR CSName = "ServerNameC"

Or, apply the GPO always to the users except when they logon to one of these 3 servers
        Root\CimV2;
        Select * From Win32_OperatingSystem Where CSName <> "ServerNameA" AND CSName <> "ServerNameB" AND CSName <> "ServerNameC"

If you have to many servers to list in the filter above, then try to find an other way to identify the servers. (Maybe you can add a new key\value in the registry of these servers and update the WMI Repository with it? so you can filter that value with a WMI-filter: http://grouppolicy.editme.com/WMIFilters)

\Rems

Edit -
        Or, of course,
        maybe it is not realy nessesary to use a special GPO for this? In that case - you can apply the user configuration by logonscript. that modifies the registry current_user key. A script is also able to check al kind of properties on the computer, what you can use as condition to run parts of the script or not.
        Last edited by Rems; 12th August 2007, 17:57.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
        and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Yalgaar,

Why started a new thread for a topic you already post just 4 days earlier??(although with a better choosen subject this time!),
          http://forums.petri.com/showthread.p...6631#post76631

pls, Just responded to the answers, instead of asking the same question again.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
          and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Working...
          X