No announcement yet.

GPO for TEMP redirection...

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPO for TEMP redirection...

yesterday, i enabled a policy setting that would redirect the users temp folder (c: docume~1\USER\LocalS\Temp) to the system temp instead (c:\WINDOWS\Temp)

so today, there were some problems with a few applications that have the temp path hardcoded to the user temp file...

so i wanted to disable that setting. i go back into GPO management, and to the policy, and it says its not configured... even though i configured it. im sure of it...

i changed the policy in the location:
    computer configuration > Windows Components > Terminal Services > Temp Folders

now, maybe it was user error. is there anywhere else in GPMang. console that would house settings for temp folders? i have thumbed thru by hand, but i cannot find any other locations, but as there are so many templates, i may have overlooked. maybe you guys could help...

so this is what i did to fix it... even though it still doesnt make sense to me.

the policy did not reflect that i had made the changes to the temp folder location, even though i did. i am absolutely sure i did, and verified it worked by testing it with my guinea pig account.

i go back to GPMC and edit the default domain policy. drill down to computer configuration > Windows Components > Terminal Services > Temp Folders and set the value to 'disabled.'

log back in with the guinea pig, and did a gpupdate/force. the policy changed, and the system required a reboot. did the reboot, logged the pig in, and viola! windows recreates all the crap i screwed up and begins using the personal temp folders again. im debating if i should now set the policy back to 'not configured' or leave it... but for now im leaving it.
    Last edited by James Haynes; 1st August 2007, 20:59. Reason: I fixed it...
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...