Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Group Policy Domain Controller refresh behaviour.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group Policy Domain Controller refresh behaviour.

I came across an MVP that said certain elements in group policy don't refresh for 90 min, regardless if it's a DC or not.
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/M...html#a19420197

I had never heard of that before. (not log off or restart, mind you, just "90 minutes")

So naturally I searched the Internet to see if I could find anything. Came up empty handed. So I then looked through some of my books, one of them is on group policy (haven't read it all the way through yet ) but still no mention of anything like the above.

I was wondering if anybody can tell me what those elements are....
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Re: Group Policy Domain Controller refresh behaviour.

Hi Jeremy,

I seem to recall reading something about this but cant for the life of me remember or find out what it was.

I did find the following - Dont know if it helps:

Unlike other Group Policy settings that will refresh in the background every 90 minutes by default, software installation policies will only take effect at startup or logon. This is to prevent such catastrophes as a GPO trying to upgrade or uninstall a user’s copy of Outlook while she’s still trying to use it, for example.
    http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/1635/04/2.html

GPOs don't get processed unless they change. This one trips up a lot of people. By default, GPO are processed at machine startup and user logon. They are also processed in the background every 90 min. (with a randomizer) on member servers and workstations and every 5 min. on DCs. However, in all cases, a GPO is not processed by a client unless something on that GPO has changed. The client machine will keep a history of GPO versions in the registry and will compare them to the versions of each GPO that gets processed during a processing cycle. If nothing changes on the GPO, it will not be processed unless you force it to via Administrative Template policy (specifically under Computer Configuration|Administrative Templates|System|Group Policy). The problem arises when people make changes to workstation or server configurations and expect them to get cleaned up automatically via policy. It won't happen until the AD-based GPO changes, or unless you force it using the policy referenced above. Also note that the policy to force a GPO to be processed even if it hasn't changed is set per Client-Side Extension. That is, if you look in the policy area above, it will have a number of processing policy options by CSE (e.g. Registry, IE Maintenance, Software Installation, etc.).
    http://www.gpoguy.com/FAQs/troublefaq.htm
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Group Policy Domain Controller refresh behaviour.

That's some good info Michael but it still does not account for some things taking 90 minutes for DC refresh.

I'll continue my search. Let me know if you come across anything.
      (where's Guy when you need him? )
      Thanks.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
      X