Unwanted Workstation Programs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unwanted Workstation Programs

Some of our users have downloaded programs such as Instant Messaging software that we do not want them to have on their machines.

Is there anyway (using the server) to delete programs that are on users' workstations? Keep in mind that these programs were not distributed using Group Policy.

Re: Unwanted Workstation Programs

Welcome to the forums

Start -> RUN -> compmgmt.msc

Local Users and Groups folder

Double click on each folder under Groups. What groups are "Domain Users" in?

This will tell us how they were able to add programs to their computer so they can be prevented in the future.

BTW, if your intention is to stop them from IM'ing, block meebo.com (good people behind the scenes though). It allows online access to all major IM networks. Then again, so do most IM companies (e.g. AIM.COM, ICQ.COM, google.com), but it's a start.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The short answer to your question is: it is possible. It is neither advisable, nor simple to achieve that. You will need to write scripts to uninstall the applications. This might be a tedious task, with an unknown percentage of success.
      What I would do is this:
      1) Create an organizational policy (something that comes from the highest levels, the highest manager you can find) that will forbid staff to install applications other than those installed by the IT department.
      2) with this in hand, make all the staff sign it that they acknowledge it.
      3) uninstall (yes, one by one, every station apart) all the applications that do not fit to the policy.
      4) use Group Policy to deny users to install applications. It can be achieved by using Software Restriction Policy.

Related articles:
      - How To Use Software Restriction Policies
      - Software Restriction Policy for Windows XP Clients
      - Software Restriction Policies How To ...
      - Using Software Restriction Policies to Protect Against Unauthorized Software

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Although a witty user can get around this, I have blocked access to the programs that I do not want the users using. I accomplished this thru Admin Templates.

I blocked things such as aim.exe, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by rkahn View Post
          Although a witty user can get around this
          Well, it all depends on how you're building the policy. For my public TS users, for instance, I blocked running all programs and prepared them a list of "legit" applications. Works like a charm !!

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Working...
          X